🖤 Chapter 18 🖤

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

He stops and looks at the phone, acknowledging a number he doesn't know on the screen. His brows furrow as he tries to decipher who exactly it belongs to; however, he's not successful.

"Hello?" He answers then waits for a response. After a few seconds, his eyebrows raise up and I almost think that they would actually leave his face. His eyes slowly drift to me and his bottom lip hangs from his mouth.

A sound escapes his throat as the shocked expression on his face changes to that of suspicion. Narrowing his eyes at me, he finally speaks again to the person on the other end of the line.

"I'm sorry, you've got the wrong number. No 'Erica' lives here." He pauses for the person to speak then goes again. "I'm pretty sure you have the wrong number, ma'am. Have a good day as I must be going."

Hanging up, James gives me a longing, deadly glare and slowly advances. "Who did you call?" he asks, a serious tone in his voice.

"Me?" I say, pretending to be appalled by his accusation.

"Well, clearly you used my phone to call someone," he scoffs. "Because they asked for you specifically. Care to explain?"

"I-I don't know what you're talking about," I lie. Damn it, why did I have to stutter? I scold myself. "Maybe it was another Erica they were asking about?"

I don't know how he did it, but his eyelids manage to narrow into a thin line, yet still, I could see his eyes staring at me as though they could see deep down into my soul and figure out that I am lying.

"Tell me the truth, now."

"What truth?" I begin to take in deep breaths.

He moves forward and is standing in front of me in flash, causing me to back into a wall. His fist punches the wall to the left of my face and cracks it. "Tell me the truth, Erica, now! Or would you prefer to suffer the consequences?"

I whimper under his breath that warms my face, then turn my face to the right, away from his alluring gaze.

"I'm waiting for an answer," he says as he leans his head so that it's right up to my ear. I lean away but come to a stop when my head bumps the wall.

Growing impatient, James grabs my throat with one hand and lifts me off the floor, squeezing as he does. I try to fight him off, scraping his hand, my nails sinking into his skin. He doesn't flinch an inch but he did let out a low growl.

"If you don't want to talk," he starts, "I'll choke the life out of you."

"You...wouldn't do that...to your own...wife," I'm able to get out, my breaths lessening with every ticking second.

A smug smirk pulls at his lips and he cocks his head to the side. "You don't know me as well as I thought you did, Erica." His grip tightens some more, not allowing me to breathe in at all now.

My vision begins to blur and my heart rate slows. I'm dying. But just when I'm about to fall asleep (even though I know I wouldn't actually be sleeping), something starts ringing - James' phone.

Raising his hand, which still holds the phone, he looks at the screen and scoffs. His eyes meet mine again. "You're a lucky woman." His grip loosens and my frail body falls to the floor, gasping for air to feed my lungs once again. "We'll discuss this later."

He answers his phone and walks out of the dining room. I sit on the floor after he leaves, rubbing my neck and starting to cry after this near-death experience.

This only confirms that I need to try and escape a lot faster.

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote.

☆ MARDAIS ☆