🖤 Chapter 12 🖤

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

Did I just hear right? Did he say 'outside'? I'm sure he said 'out of the way'. Yes, let's go with that.

"Come on, love." James intertwines our arms and we step up to the front door. I push my feet in the red high heels he had already set out for me.

He really did say it. He really is going to take me outside.

I try to pry myself away from the arm he wrapped around mine, but his grip holds. It's not that I don't want to see the outside world again, but it's just so strange that all of a sudden James Augustine wants to take me outside. It must be a dream. I close my eyes and pinch my arm, but when I open them again, everything's still the same.

"Ready?" He asks, looking at me pensively.

I steady my breathing and close my eyes for another moment. Opening them, I release a breath and answer, "I'm ready."

The front door opens and the rays of the afternoon sun pour in, engulfing me in brightness. The rain was slightly drizzling, too. James opens the umbrella he salvaged from the closet and shelters me. The rain is something I haven't felt on my skin for a while. Never mind the fact that I take showers; it's not the same.

I observe my surroundings, noticing the two apple trees that sprouted since last I saw them. Upon coming here, they were as tall as James, but now they are as tall as the mansion.

Turning around to look at the house, I see that it's now a bright orange - my favourite colour - with yellow trimmings around the windows' sills and the door's frame. Before, it used to be a rusty-brown, probably to match his rusty heart.

"You've had it repainted," I point out the obvious. "What splendid colour choices."

"Yes, and thank you. I had my inspiration," he says, smiling at me. The wind blows and I close my eyes. My ears open to the sound of birds chirping and squirrels chattering. I breathe in the fresh air, filled with a slight hint of rain, and exhale with satisfaction. This Is what I've been missing for a long time.

We continue to the black limousine that is parked at the end of the walkway, and James opens the door for me to get inside.

"By the way, where are we going?" I ask before getting in.

"We can discuss this in the car, while we are on our way."

"Okay, I'm just so excited." I feel jitters and bounce up and down, almost falling backwards in the heels, but James catches me and gives me a disgruntled look.

I should probably calm down. I shouldn't spoil the fun before it even begins.

I step into the limo and make myself comfortable, James doing the same after closing the umbrella. When he closes the door, whatever little light was shining into the vehicle has vanished. I look at the windows wondering why no light is coming in, then I notice that it is tinted with carbon, so I can't see a thing outside.

"What's this?" I ask, gesturing to the window.

"It's so that no one outside can see into the car," he answers, flicking the switch of a lava lamp that rests on a small serving table, which is built into his side of the limo.

Typical. Even when he's trying to be nice, he still finds some way to dull the mood.

"Where are we going?" I repeat.

"I'm taking you to meet someone, or rather some people," he says.

"Splendid!" Finally, I'm getting to meet people. This is definitely an improvement! I jerk at the sudden movement of the car, as we leave.

"Let's have a drink, shall we." He takes two champagne glasses and pours some red wine into them.

Well, I guess I'll just have to relax, enjoy the wine and probably stare at James' face the whole way, now that I can't even see anything outside the vehicle.

"Cheers to...surprises," he says while we clink our glasses.

Cheers to freedom, I think sarcastically. I wonder what else he has planned...

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote.

☆ MARDAIS ☆