🖤 Chapter 16 🖤

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

We stop right in front of them as they continue to ogle.

"What happened, " Alfred asks us. This could be my opportunity. Maybe I can tell them what James did, and they'll call the police. Then I'd finally get my freedom, far away as possible from James.

As I am about to open my mouth to speak, James squeezes my arm, causing me to wince and look up at him. "Don't say a word," he whispers when he leans in to kiss my forehead. But I want my freedom more than to remain a silent accomplice.

"He killed Francis!" I shout as I yank my arm out of his tight grip, and step over behind his parents. A look of fear wipes across their faces as they stare at him, and he glowers at me for my betrayal.

"James? What is she talking about?" Alfred enquiries. He stares some more at his blood-stained tux and asks, "Is it true? Is that why you're covered in blood?"

"It can't be," his mother protests. "Surely, it's just wine, right James?" James begins to heave and growl. I become more frightened, and so does Diana, who starts to back away a little.

Alfred frowns at his son. "Well, are you going to answer--" He is cut short by James when he kicks him in the groin. Alfred falls to his knees, holding between his legs as his face contorts. Diana and I gasp as we watch James send his knee up to Alfred's chin, knocking a few teeth out of his mouth and onto the tiled floor. Blood drips from his mouth, too.

"What are you doing?" Alfred asks, wheezing as he drools more and more blood.

Without answering, my crazy husband grabs his father by the mixture of grey and black hair on his head, looks him in the eyes and whispers something unintelligible. Then, he smashes Alfred's head into the wall, leaving nothing but a blood stain that smears the wall as his body drops limply to the floor.

"Call the police," I tell his mother. She runs as fast as she can, but James is faster. He grabs her by the back of her neck, lifts her off the floor, and then slams her face down into it. I hear a nasty crack. That means either the tile cracked or her face is broken. He flips over her body, and I can see the entire front of her face is disfigured. She's not breathing, which tells me that she's dead.

How could he kill his own parents?!

I panic, opening the front door, and run outside to the limousine. The darkness enfolds me as I approach the car under the night sky. As soon as I open the door, a hand grips my hair and slams my head into the top of the car. I fall to the ground as my head begins to pain. Drops of water start to fall from the sky. Rain. Or maybe it was just the blood running down my forehead. I can't tell because I can't think straight with all the pain in my head.

James kneels down in front of me, a smirk on his face. "This will teach you not to disobey me in the future," he says grimly.

The patter of the raindrops becomes heavier on my face. As James stands up again and turns to walks away, I try to move. I try my best to turn over and crawl into the limousine, but my brain fails to send the instructions to my limbs, and I stay put.

"If you had just kept your mouth shut...!" He yells out. Turning back to me and pointing a finger, he continues. "You did this! You made me do this!" He falls to the ground and sobs.

Me? I didn't put a gun to his head and tell him to murder both his parents.

I am finally able to regain control of my body and, instead of crawling into the limo, I crawl up to him. He glances at me and pulls me into his arms. He sits back on his heels, cradling me. We stay silent for a few moments, with rain pelting down on both of us.

"I'm...I'm sorry," I finally say, breaking the silence with a raspy voice. I reach up and cup his face.

He looks at me with sad eyes, the rain plastering his hair to his face, some of the drops running down his nose and onto me. A look of remorse floods his face. "I'm sorry I did this to you," he says, running his index finger across the wound on my forehead. I wince, as it burns when he touches it.

Then he lifts me a little and kisses me on my lips, and I return it.

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote.

☆ MARDAIS ☆