Chapter Nine

The elevator dinged as it opened.

"Congratulations 6 o'clock on the dot, that's an imp- woah" I didn't let Eric finish as I stumbled forward and almost fell over. He grabbed me to steady me. 

"You don't look too well, " he muttered, taking in my appearance. He put his hand on my forehead. I felt the warmth of it against my skin.

"I had 2 hours of gymnastics last night once I got home," I said groggily.

Eric's eyes widened. "After everything you did yesterday? Jesus Becca!"

I leaned my back against the elevator door as soon as it shut for balance.

He watched my state for a bit longer before finally speaking "Okay, you're coming with me."

He grabbed my arm and walked me down the main office. We walked into the room with all the black doors again. I saw captain's gold office door at the end. Eric dragged me towards it and at first I thought he was going to take me to Captain and have me fired. My heart started racing as we approached the gold door but instead, he opened one of the black doors next to me.

He led me into the room. It was another office. Not as big as Captain's but still pretty big.

"Is this your office?" I asked him.

"Yeah," he said as he led me over to the chair behind his desk. I sat down in it resting my head on his desk instantly.

"You're not going to Kennedy High today," he concluded after a moment.

"What? No, I can go." I argued even though my head was still resting on the desk. "Day 3 whoo," I cheered with absolutely no enthusiasm at all.

"You're staying here. You've overdone it, Becca." He ordered looking at my currents state in concern. "Look," he sighed, trying to figure out what to do. "I have work to do but you can just sleep in here or something, okay?" He declared as he walked towards the door.

I was in no position to argue. "Okay," I grumbled as I slightly lifted my head.

He left the room and I automatically put my head back on the desk. Many people probably wouldn't be able to fall asleep in the position that I was in but like I said, I was tired. And in no position to complain about my options.

Slowly, I began to shut my sore eyes and took a deep breath in. The room smelt like fresh paper and his cologne. For some reason, I found the smell comforting and I fell asleep almost instantly.

When I finally opened my eyes, I was greeted by blurry vision. Where was I again? My vision cleared. Eric's office. I rubbed my eyes and lifted my head. My hair was everywhere and I was still in my pajamas. I looked around his room. There wasn't much in there. Well, at least nothing that seemed personal. It was like all Eric ever did was think about work. Maybe that's what becoming a spy does to you. I pondered. Sighing, I realized that I should probably get up.

I stood up, made my way over to the door and then opened it. I peered out of it and looked down the hallway. I checked my watch. Noon. Everyone must have been on a lunch break. There would barely be anyone around. I slowly tip-toed into the wardrobe department that was around the corner. I found some yoga pants and a simple plain singlet. I got dressed and then decided to put on some makeup while I was at it. It never hurt.

As I entered the makeup department I gaped at all the products and mirrors. They were Hollywood style with light bulbs poking out of the frames. Makeup had never really been my thing but it was still hard to hide the fact that I was excited by everything I saw. I did my hair up in a simple bun, not too fussed with it. But makeup was a whole different story; I was using it now more than I ever had before. It was like over the past few days, I'd suddenly become self-conscious about my appearance. I went for the most natural but flattering look I could. After I finished, I looked in the mirror feeling satisfied and left the room.