Chapter Twenty-Nine

If there was one thing that always scared me in life, it was the fear of death. The fear of investing all this time into having a good life, meeting new people and making new friends, trying to reach your ambitions and just like that - nothing. Nothing exists to you anymore. You're dead. Everything you've ever worked for - worthless. I was never one to believe in an afterlife anyway. To me, I imagined that when you died, that was it. Nothing else. Nothing. It was like sleeping without the dreams. You didn't realize you were doing it, you didn't realize anything. Everything was just a whole pile of absolutely nothing. No darkness, no light.

Nothing.

I guess in that way, my fear wasn't really dying - it was the nothingness that I believed followed it. I always tried to avoid any situations I found life threatening and dangerous because I simply didn't want to die. The thought of dying tried to cloud my everyday thoughts in the simplest ways. Whenever I breathed I'd try not to wonder 'What if this was my last breath?' and whenever I said goodbye to someone I'd try not to wonder 'Will this be the last time I see them?'. I avoided the thought of dying because I didn't want to die. I knew it would happen at some stage in my life, all I could hope was that when it came, I was ready for it. In that moment, I wasn't.

"We need to hurry this up if I want to make it back for the prom queen announcement," Tasha said, looking towards Violet. "Put some clothes or whatever on the floor around her, we don't want to make a mess." she urged.

Violet nodded, obeying her orders, opening the cupboard behind her, looking for rags.

"Once this is over, I need to go back to the auditorium so I'm counting on you to take the body and dump it somewhere. As far away as possible." Tasha continued.

"Wait," Violet popped her head out of the cupboard. "So I have to miss out on the rest of prom?" she whined.

"Yes!" Tasha snapped.

Violet, stuck her head back in the cupboard, obviously scared by Tasha's fierceness.

They talked about me like I wasn't in the room, or had already died, referring to me as 'the body'. I felt disgusted by them yet frightened at the same time but focused on looking around the room frantically trying to think of an escape. I could feel my breathing increase. Was I really about to die?

Tasha, who was still playing with the gun and twirling it with a bored expression, turned to look at me and noticed my frightened face. She grinned walking back over to me.

"Oh don't worry sweetie, we're not killing you yet. First, I'm going to need some answers." She reached me, leaning forward and using the gun to twirl a lock of my hair. I froze in fear at the proximity of me and the weapon that would end my life in a few minutes.

Before she could continue to explain, I heard my ringtone blare from my phone and I turned looked at my clutch. Tasha spun around, looking in the same direction as me. She tilted her head in confusion and walked back over to the teachers desk, pulling the device out of the small bag.

"Well, who would be calling at this hour?" she laughed playfully, before accepting the call. She pressed the phone up to her ear.

"Rebecca's phone," she answered, smiling.

I listened in anticipation, urging to know who it was, my heart racing.

"Oh, I'm sorry, she isn't available right now," she replied, glancing over at me tied up. Tasha bit her lip as she continued listening to the response from the other end. She rested herself up on the desk, casually sitting on it, letting her legs swing. "She's just busy," she stated plainly.

I felt fear rush over me, knowing there could be horrible consequences to what I was about to do. I screamed out as loud as I could, "Help!" I shrieked as loud as I could, "Help me! I'm tied up in a classroom-" before I could say any more, Violet had rushed over to me and placed her hand over my mouth. Without hesitation, I bit it as hard as I could on her skin.