Chapter Twenty-Six

This was a stupid idea.

I stared at my reflection in the full-length mirror. I'd done my makeup, hair and...I was also wearing the black dress that Eric had told me to keep after I'd gone on that shopping spree.

This was a ridiculously, stupid, terrible idea.

I owned plenty of dresses that I never wore. My Mom and I were practically the same size and even shared outfits, doubling the amount of options I had. I had so many things to choose from and I went with the one thing I shouldn't have. The one dress that linked me to him. What was I doing? Was this some desperate attempt to catch his attention? Make him reconsider his decision for us not to be together? I am pathetic. A completely pathetic idiot that has no idea what they're doing. But I had to admit, it was a nice dress. I had been the one to pick it out in the first place. I doubted he would even recognize that this was the dress he'd told me to hold on. Why had he even done that anyway? Was he suddenly some expert on fashion? Again, I was overthinking things. I glared at myself in the mirror and told myself to just calm down. I decided to stick with the dress and not argue with myself further.

When I'd arrived home, I'd noticed my Mom's car gone and knew she must have gone out. And if I didn't know any better I'd say it was with her new 'guy', whoever the loser was.

I heard the sound of a car honking and looked out my window to see that Debby had arrived. I quickly grabbed a purse and then headed out of my room as fast as my heels would let me. I wondered whether I should leave a note for my mother to tell her I was out but then decided against it. If she was going to go somewhere without telling me, I would do the same.

I dove into the car to avoid the strong cold wind that was making me shiver.

"I really need to get my license," I grumbled.

"Well hello to you too," Debby grinned. "Nice dress, you look hot."

I pulled a face, like always did when people tried to compliment me but gave in and accepted her remark. "Thanks, You too."

Debby was wearing a bright yellow dress that ended just above her knees and her dark red hair was slightly curled. "You have to help me with directions, I've only been to this place once and I wasn't really paying attention to where it was."

"I will," I reassured her. I'd gone to the RUA so many times that it seemed impossible for me to ever get lost.

"I'm going to turn on the heater, its cold as hell" Debby muttered, leaning forward pressing a button and turning a dial near the dashboard. The warm air started exiting the vent after a few seconds. "If Summer doesn't hurry up already I'm going lose it.

I scoffed. "I don't even care about Summer, just give me any season that isn't this one."

As Debby continued driving down the street, I watched the sun begin to set from outside, removing any warmth that was still left outside. As I continued staring out the window I couldn't help but wonder what was happening at Kennedy High with their formal. I imagined all the girls with their dresses that draped down to their floor, hiding their six-inch heels. The crazy amount of hours they all would have put into their appearance, all for just a few hours of dancing – or whatever you were supposed to do at proms. The whole thing seemed completely stupid and the idea completely foreign to me. I'd already had the displeasure of listening in on countless conversations about people getting ready for the event, all I could wonder was if it truly lived up to its hype and was worth everyone's time.

"Debby..." I piped up after a moment.

"Mmm?" she kept her focus on the road in front of her.

"When does our school have prom?" I asked.