Chapter Seven

The sound of my alarm clock ringing woke me up in the morning. I looked over to the time to see that it was 5am. I groaned as I threw myself back on my bed. Today was the day. I was officially becoming a part of the RUA, an undercover agency I hadn't even heard of until 4 days ago.

Yesterday after my talk with Captain, Eric had shown me around and then given me a piece of paper with the address to the factory on it along with the pin for entering the building. I was right. There were exactly 30 numbers. I'd come home at exactly six o'clock for dinner and my Mom had been completely unaware of anything. Things were already starting to go to plan.

I got up and walked towards my dresser. In the corner on top of my magazines sat the riddle I had received from Eric on Saturday. I took it back to my bed and sat down as I studied it. I knew this was all real.

I went and had a shower and then got dressed. I tried to put more effort into the way I looked when I stood in front of the mirror by spending a little more time working on things. I was never one to be concerned about my appearance but felt it might help if I looked more presentable for the case.

My Mom usually slept in until late in the morning so I didn't even have to worry about running into her as I headed downstairs. I left the house at exactly 5:30 am, knowing that I still had a good half an hour until I needed to be at RUA headquarters. Everything looked so different at 5 am in the morning as I peddled my bike down the street. It was darker, colder but at the same time more beautiful. I had never left the house during sunrise and I was kind of enjoying it - aside from the fact that I could barely keep my eyes open.

I arrived at the factory feeling instant relief due to the fact that I hadn't got lost. I checked my watch again. I still had ten minutes which was plenty of time. I approached the door and started entering the pin. Luckily on my first try, I got it correct. The door swung open seconds later allowing my entrance and I shut it behind me as I entered.

I walked casually over to the elevator and pressed the button. It opened seconds later and I stepped in and watch the doors shut. For a moment, I forgot what I was supposed to do next. I thought back to yesterday. The tile. I got on the ground like Eric had previously to lift the tile. It was then I realized I didn't know what tile to lift.

"Oh no." Not good. Not good.

I started trying to lift every tile I could. On every try, the tiles I attempted to lift stayed glued to the floor. I checked my watch 5:55. Damn it. I kept trying.

After what felt like a lifetime I finally lifted the right tile as it came off the floor and the button was revealed below it. I hit the red button and let the elevator take me underground. I got back up off the ground, slightly disorientated after the delay. As the doors of the elevator opened, I saw Eric standing in front of them, waiting for me.

"You're two minutes late." He said sternly.

"I didn't know which tile to lift! I couldn't remember which one you lifted and had to lift nearly every single one." I complained. "I actually did get here on time."

"I know," Eric informed, a smug smirk appearing on the side his mouth. "I saw you on the security cameras."

I looked at him in horror. Oh God, he had seen all that

Great job, Becca. You really know how to make a great impression on the first day of a job. 

I tried to recover from the embarrassment by straightening my posture. His face went serious again.

"Okay come on, we're going to the gym." He said and started walking. He had shown me the gym yesterday on the quick tour we'd had after meeting Captain and I was impressed. It was better than the gym I trained at. There was a large amount of space for training, seats everywhere and a heap of equipment.