Chapter 2

Lost at Sea

Chapter 2

Time

     Steve looked out the window at the big city before him. He always thought the city looked the prettiest at night, something he and Emily agreed on.

     His heart ached when he thought of her. His beloved wife and daughter, taken away from him way too soon. Emily was only twenty-six-years-old; she still had a whole life to live. While Mariana was only three; her life taken out of her grasp way to early. Too early.

     A few hours after news of the crash broke, two soldiers came to Stark Tower and slowly gave the somber news to the Avengers.

     Emily and Mariana Rogers did not survive the crash.

     Everyone grieved in their own ways.

     Natasha hasn't been seen since word arrived. She and Emily were very close to the point where they considered each other to be sisters. Natasha was there in the delivery room when Mariana was born, even named her godmother.

     Clint spent hours at the training gym, shooting arrows at every dummy he saw. He would fire at the same ones over and over again. He didn't care that there were hundreds of arrows impaled, he would just keep shooting.

     Thor, even though he wasn't around very much, cared very much for Steve's beloved ones. He risked his life to save them when an armed robber scaled Stark Tower and broke into their private quarters. He disappeared back to Asgard not soon after. Mentioning something about "Needing time to regain his emotional strength." No one blamed him.

     Bruce left to go stay in a S.H.I.E.L.D cabin in upstate New York for two weeks. He didn't want to risk being near civilians.

     Tony buried himself in his work to keep his mind off things.

     Out of everyone, it was no surprise that Steve was taking it the hardest. Who could blame him? Fury released him of his duties until he was emotionally and physically stable.

     He didn't know how long it has been since he locked himself in his room. He lost count of the hours that ticked by a long time ago. If he had to guess, he has properly been sitting next to the window for at least three days.

     He was broken beyond repair.

     He didn't bother a glance when the door opened, revealing Pepper, holding a tray of food. Neither spoke a word. The only sound was the soft click of Pepper's heels as she walked across the room. She laid the tray of food on a table next to other disregarded trays.

     Her eyebrows met when she saw the spoiled food. She looked over at the captain, worry and pity openly expressed on her features. "They've found Emily's body," she commented.

     There was no response.

     Pepper cleared her throat, "She's on her way home as we speak."

     Nothing. Not even a peep.

     She looked around the once-pristine room. The covers on the bed were messy and thrown off and furniture was thrown everywhere. There was shattered glass from a vase on the ground, the flowers it once contained stomped on. It looked like WWll exploded in here. Maybe it did.

     Steve continued to stare off at the city. His mind wasn't in the present. It was gone to wherever Emily and Mariana were. A hand came to lay on his shoulder. He didn't bother to look up at the blonde.