Chapter 4

Lost at Sea

Chapter 4

Missing Body

Elizabeth Cunningham is a force to be reckoned with. She carries herself with a sense of purpose and she analyzes everything she does before she does it. She made her way to her brother-in-law's apartment within Stark Tower. She glanced to the left at the newspaper stands. She recognized one of the headlines as one she wrote; Remembrance of America: The Life of Mrs. Captain America.

It took her nearly a week to write that article. Her editor wanted to print a piece on Captain America's deceased wife and decided she was the best person to write it. He didn't make a bad choice. After all, she knows first-hand who Emily Rogers was. But it was painful to write an in remembrance piece for her own sister. Elizabeth felt the pressure mounting each day. She had to write an amazing piece for Emily; and she did.

Elizabeth quickly made her way inside the lobby and to the private elevator that only residents used. She flashed the security guard her access pass before she was allowed up.

Steve greeted her at his doorway. "How are you doing, Elizabeth?" He asked as he pulled her in for a hug.

"Well considering all that has happened." She responded with a smile. She didn't need to ask him how he was doing, she already knew. "Even after all these years you still refuse to call me Lizzie." She teased.

Steve shrugged, "What can I say? I prefer to call people by their real names."

Elizabeth gave him a look that said 'that's bull'. "That's a lie," She declared. "You call a few people by their nicknames."

"I did," Steve corrected her. "Those people are no longer here." His gaze became somber once more. He looked out the window, hoping his sister-in-law did not see the tears forming in his eyes.

"Their memories are still here," Elizabeth said. "Our loved ones live on in our memories. They may not be with us physically, but they are in here." She placed her hands over her heart.

Steve grinned. "That's so cliche."

She giggled. "Maybe, but it's the truth." The pair fell into a comfortable silence. They gazed out to the city. Though the streets were bustling with people, it somehow managed to admit a sort of peace.

"If only I didn't have to leave," Steve's voice cut through the silence. Elizabeth looked over to find silent tears flowing down his cheeks. "If only they came with me."

"Now, now, it's no good thinking like that," She wrapped her arms around him. "I know we want to think of the 'what ifs', but the past has already happened. No matter how much we want to change it, sadly we cannot. I really wish I could go back and change what happened to Emily and Mariana. Steve, I really do, but it is out of my control. It comforts me to know that they knew how loved they are. They would want us to continue moving forward and that's what we're gonna do. I know it's hard, but we have each other to lean on."

Steve stared at Elizabeth as she spoke. Was this intelligent young woman the same chaotic teenager he first met a few years ago?

She pulled the supersoldier into a bear hug. "They're still with us, Steven."

He pulled out of the hug to look at her. "Now who's calling people by their real names?" They laughed. They continued to talk for hours. There was no set topic. They just said whatever came to mind and bounced off of what the other said.