Chapter 12

Lost at Sea

Chapter 12

My Past

     She watched the Avengers disappear from her view as they left to confront Ultron. Be careful, she silently willed when she heard the sound of the quinjet taking off.

     Alene was pulled from her resolve by someone clearing their voice. She turned to find a medium-height woman with a bob cut standing at the door to her cell. She held an expensive and high tech looking tablet in her right hand and the key to her cell in the other.

     She moved back into the corner as the woman opened the cell door and entered.

     "Hello, Alene," She said. Her voice sounded fake to the girl. "I'm here because I need to take a blood sample." For some odd reason, her heart rate picked up and she suddenly had a sickening feeling in the pit of her stomach. She sharply inhaled and placed a hand on her stomach, trying to push the feeling away.

     Of course, the woman noticed her frightened response. "Are you afraid?" Alene nodded. The woman frowned. "Have you ever had your blood taken before?"

     She thought for a bit before shrugging her shoulders. "It's alright to be nervous," The woman gave her a small smile. "When I got my blood taken for the first time, I peed myself." Alene smiled. She watched as the woman came more into the cell, but she maintained a distance between them.

     The woman introduced herself as Maria Hill, an agent for S.H.I.E.L.D and said that she works closely with the Avengers. Maria held her hand out for Alene to shake, but the latter silently refused the handshake. She laughed nervously before taking out a syringe and catheter for the blood sample.

     "You're not much of a talker, are you?" She retorted to the girl. "Do you have a last name?" Alene shook her head no. "Do you have parents?" Another shake. Maria frowned. "Really? That's a shame."

     The two sat in uncomfortable silence. Alene watched patiently as Maria got the necessary equipment ready to perform the blood sample. She let out an excessively loud sigh. "Can you at least say a few things? I don't like complete silence."

     Alene's expression did not change. "I only talk to strangers when I think it is necessary to do so." She said. "I don't trust you so why should I speak?"

     Maria gaped at the girl. She does have a point, she mused to herself. "I guess. I apologize for snapping at you."

     "It's fine," Maria instructed Alene to roll up her sleeve. She put gloves on her hands and picked up the syringe.

     She held the tool up to her shoulder. She met Alene's eyes and smiled. "Alright, Alene, take in a deep breath. This might sting a little." She carefully drew a few drops of blood before pulling the syringe away and putting a bandaid over the small prick. "See, that wasn't so bad." Alene smiled at Maria.

     She turned away from the girl and placed the blood samples into another container. She started to pack up the kit and surprisingly Alene helped her. "Thank you," She said.

     Alene asked her, "Where did the Avengers go?"

     The woman shot her a puzzled look. Should I tell her, she pondered but ultimately concluded she couldn't do any harm with the information. Not when she is locked inside a cell. "Somewhere in South Africa. Why do you ask?"

     The girl sharply exhaled before saying, "You might want to turn on the television."

~{++}~