Chapter 15

Lost at Sea

Chapter 15

South Korea

     She couldn't help herself; she really couldn't. Like really. Anyone, young or old, would kill to be able to meet a member of the Avengers, nevertheless fly in their quinjet or accompany them on a mission. Alene was practically living everyone's dream.

     But that didn't mean she was not nervous. Nervous was actually an understatement. She was scared, terrified.

     Anxious questions raced through the girl's mind. What if they failed? Where they already too late? What if one of the Avengers were captured or injured or worse?! What if Wanda and Pietro turned their backs on her for good? And who the heck was this Ultron thing that she's seen and heard so much about? She decided to ask that one out loud.

     "Sorry to ask but I am highly uninformed about much of this situation. Just," She hesitated, "Who or what the heck is this Ultron that I've heard and have seen so much of?"

     Hawkeye, who she now knows as Clint, spoke up from the pilot's seat. "He is a manic."

     "Crazy," Natasha added.

     Steve rolled his eyes at his teammates. He sat across from Alene. "What they are trying to say is that he's an AI that Tony created a few days ago. He was supposed to be good and 'bring peace to the world'," He made air quotes with his hands which caused her to laugh for the first time in a long time. "But something went wrong and he became the power-crazy, murderous robot-thingy that your 'siblings' ran off and teamed up with after we got you," He added as an afterthought, "Sorry for locking you in a cell by the way." He looked guilty and upset about the way she was treated while she was their prisoner.

     Alene was quick to reassure the captain. "It's alright. I fully understand your reasoning behind it. I would do the same if some enhanced individual came knocking on my door." She laughed nervously. "So how long is the flight to Seoul?"

     "About thirteen hours, kid," Clint responded. Alene inwardly groaned and rolled her eyes in annoyance.

     Steve saw it and laughed. She shot him a hateful glare. "Get comfortable, Alene. You're in for a long ride."

     "Hey, but think of yourself as being lucky," Natasha came over and sat down next to her. "If we were in a regular commercial plane, it would be a fifteen-hour flight."

     "Plus, you got the best pilot in the world!" Clint yelled from the cockpit.

     Alene leaned forward to get a better look at him. "Um, I can't judge on that claim. I haven't witnessed your skills first hand yet."

     "Oh yeah? Wanna bet, kid?"

     "Absolutely. I'll give you ten."

     "Twenty."

     "Uh, nope. I don't have that much, old man." She shrugged her shoulders sheepishly. "Fifteen. Take it or leave it."

     She could just picture Clint smirking as he exclaimed, "You got yourself a deal." She smiled and leaned back in her seat.

     Natasha leaned into her ear and whispered, "Do you really have fifteen dollars?"

     Alene's smirk grew and she shook her head. "Not a single dime."

~{++}~

Two Hours Later...

     "What are you doing?"