Chapter 17

Lost at Sea

Chapter 17

Sokovia Falls

    Steve started his 'before the battle encouragement speech' once everyone was situated onboard the Quinjet. "Ultron knows we're coming. Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire, and that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia," He looked straight at The Triplets as he said this. "They didn't. So our top priority is getting them out and to safety." He returned his gaze to the rest of the team. "All they want is to live their lives in peace, but sadly that is not going to happen today. We must do our best to protect them."

    He hesitated a bit before continuing. "We will get the job done. I truly believe we will, but we all must work together. This plan will fail and we will lose if we don't." Steve turned to Thor. "Thor, you will help Tony figure out what Ultron has been building."

    The God of Thunder nodded his head. "Right,"

    "Banner," The man in question looked up, shocked that he was called upon. "You will find Romanoff and fill her in on the plan." Like Thor, he nodded his head, understanding fully what his part of the mission is.

    "The rest of us will clear the field. We must keep the fight between us at all costs." Steve paused for a few moments, letting the information sink in. He looked around, making sure no one will notice him pulling out a photo from his belt pocket, but Alene did. From where she was sitting, she got a perfect glance at the photo.

    "Ultron thinks we're monsters." Steve continued. He looked at the wrinkled photo a few seconds more before putting it away once again. When he looked back up, Alene averted her gaze, acting like she didn't see a thing. It worked. "He thinks that we're what's wrong in the world. This isn't just about beating him, it's about whether he's right or not." He met everyone's eye as he finished his speech. "Keep that in mind today. Now let's go out there and do our job."

    There were mutters of agreement from everyone as Steve sat down. He nodded at Clint, giving him the go-ahead to take off for Sokovia.

~{++}~
1:44 am
Somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean...

    Bruce looked over at Alene. He smiled at her and she smiled back. He looked away for a second before doing a complete doubletake and looking back at her. He scrunched his eyebrows together and gave the girl a weird look.

    "Is there something wrong?" She asked a little annoyed. She was not liking the look he was giving her.

    Bruce shook his head. "Nope, not at all." He nodded at the weapon resting in the girl's hands. "but why are you carrying a gun? Can't you fight with your powers?"

    Alene sighed. Honestly, she did not want to be having this talk, but since he asked, why not? "My abilities aren't exactly designed for the battlefield."

    "But you've used them before," Natasha said.

    Alene nodded. "I have, but not in a defensive way. They're mostly offensive. I can't use them to push people back or knock them over. The only things I can really do is see the future- sometimes but very rarely the past-, create shields, and 3D objects." She shrugged her shoulders. "A doll can't hold back twenty criminals."

    "If you can create 3D objects, then shouldn't you be able to create a gun?" Bruce asked.

    "I can," She demonstrated by creating an M14. "But they can't fire anything." She let the weapon vanish.