16. home without a heart

"Did you and your folks just move in?"

He's so innocent.

"Jungkook, there's something you should know."

Taehyung and Jungkook were sitting on the porch stairs.

Taehyung didn't want him to be the rest of the so-called 'house'.

"Yes?" Jungkook asked, stars in his eyes.

"I, um, I've never told anyone this before..."

Jungkook nodded his head, urging him to continue.

"I live alone. Here."

"You're living here?" Jungkook asked, shocked that a young kid like Taehyung would be living in a dump like this.

"Yeah."

"What about your parents?"

Taehyung looks down and fidgets.
"I don't have any."

"Then-then how'd you end up here?"

Taehyung clears his throat.

"Well, when I was five, my parents died in an accident and I got sent to an orphanage. A few weeks after that, I went to a foster home. They were pretty nice to me. I lived with a mom, dad and one older brother. I was there for a year before my foster mom and brother died in a car accident. After that, my foster dad started drinking and hitting me. I never did anything about it. I dealt with the pain and awaited the next time he'd lift his fist at me.

Soon, I couldn't take it anymore. When I got old enough, I ran. I just packed my stuff, which was mostly just clothes, and set out. That's when I found this place," Taehyung gestured his head towards the structure behind him, "and thought it'd be fine. And it has been a pretty good home for the past seven years, despite the leaky roof and unsturdy walls," Taehyung smiles, trying to make Jungkook not feel as bad.

Jungkook looks at him, pain in his eyes.
"So you've been helpless your whole life?"

Taehyung nods.

Jungkook's hand moves slowly towards
Taehyung's before putting his fingers on his.

Taehyung holds in his giggle.