it was funny when i wrote it ok

Connor woke up lazily on a Thursday morning having only 3 things on his mind.

1- It's Thursday, the second-to-last weekday that they had off for Spring Break.

2- It's also 4/20.

3- No way in hell will he be allowed to make any 4/20 jokes, at least in front of his family.

Brushing his gross hair a few times to get all the knots out, he placed his brush right next to his four other brushes, three of which he just grabbed them from the bathroom after taking a shower and never returned it, he didn't bother to change as he strolled down the stairs in flannel sweatpants and an old college t-shirt that he got from his aunt.

This was to rebel from his parents who would never let him crack a joke about 4/20. Cause it's "Not funny Connor," and "It's a sensitive topic for some people, Connor."

It's not even like Connor smoked that much anymore. He decided to pity his mom and her efforts so he stopped doing it. On bad days, though, it's a different story. He just liked to say "blaze it" every time someone says the date.

And throw doritos at people.

And print out images of weed to stick on people's lockers.

And, hey, it was funny that one time when his Algebra teacher asked him for his homework and he replied that he couldn't do it, he was "too busy preparing for the national holiday today."

Connor always found a way around it, though. To secretly make jokes and puns right under their noses- "What should we have for dinner?" "Oh, I thought weed eat out tonight." "What?" "I said I thought we would eat out tonight." was his favourite.

Pulling out his phone, which his parents made him charge it downstairs so that he'd try to get some sleep one day, he opened the chat with Evan, the cute little button who took the time out of his day to visit the studio. D'aw.

Changing his keyboard language to Japanese (Romaji) and typed in a phrase he'd memorized so long ago, taught to him by FIlthy Frank, the god:

April 20th, 10:46 AM:

con: 四百二十燃やせ!

Ev: ??

It only took a few seconds for Evan to respond, which was incredible, because Connor never replies immediately. Dedication, man.

con: google translate it

Ev: oh

I

wow

how?

con: magic

Ev: i'll take that as an answer to please you

I have a question for you

how are you allowed to work at a tattoo studio? Shouldnt you be 17 or something

con: just turned 18 actually

Yeah zo and i are allowed to work there but we're not really allowed to give tattoos

i still do tho

bc we're short-staffed or smth idk

Ev: oh

Evan thinks he's weird. Connor's more than positive that he does.

Shoving week-old chocolate into his mouth, Connor munched on the easter candy until his sister walked down the stairs, also dressed in PJs, turning into the living room to see her brother sprawled out on the sofa with his phone in one hand and candy in the other.

"How do you live like this?" She scoffed, making her way into the kitchen to get herself some breakfast.

"How do you live like that? Healthy and stable and all," He yelled back- Not a mean yell, they both were too tired for that, but just one so Zoe could hear all the way in the kitchen.

"Dunno," She poured the milk into her Fruity Pebbles and grabbed a spoon, then carefully tried to speed-walk back into the den and setting her bowl down before falling into one of their soft chairs, grabbing a blanket that was tossed to the side and draping it over herself. "How's the Evan thing going?"

"Dunno. Hey," Connor faced his sister who threw him a half-jokingly disgusted look, "Do you know Jared Kleinman?"

"Yeah I s-" Zoe stopped in her tracks before clearing her throat. "I worked with him a few months ago, before I wanted to join the studio, remember?"

"Wait, you what?"

"Worked with him." Her voice was pretty firm, like a brick wall that was keeping something behind in.

"Before that, you said something that started with an S, idiot."

"Don't know what you mean." And she turned the TV on, avoiding the rest of Connor's questions. "Why do you ask?"

"Evan visited the studio. He's family friends with Jared."

"Poor him."

"Yeah."

"So did he visit the studio or did he," She nudged her elbow suggestively. "Visit you?"

"Yeah, like he'd do that. Stop trying to get my hopes up, you're gross."

"You're gross. And anyways, why else would he go? Last I saw him he seemed too pure to even look at a tattoo pen, let alone go into a store full of 'em."

"Ugh, stop being right."

"I'm your sister, it's my job."

"Quit, then."

"Can't, if I quit then it'll be dad's job. You'd hate that."

"Stooooooooop." He groaned, getting up and pulling on a hoodie. "I'm going out."

"Where? And in your Pajamas?"

"Fuck you and yes."

"Fuck you too, bro."

-

The drive was longer than Connor hoped it'd be, and seeming that he had nowhere to actually go, he pulled his phone out to text Evan. Oh, and because of no-texting-while-driving, he had to pull over to the side of the road.

April 20th, 11:15 AM

con: wanna meet up somewhere or smth it's fine if you dont wanna

He deleted that last part. He doesn't need to seem desperate, god.

Ev: Sure, i have off today

where?

con: idk we can drive down to this park if you want

there's an ice cream place i used to go to a lot

Was he... Asking Evan out on a date? He didn't even realize it until he sent the two messages. It sounds romantic.

Ev: sounds good!!

you're driving...?

i get too anxious when i drive sorry

con: i dont mind

oh uh

do you want me to pick you up at your house or

Evan responded with a few "yeah"s and "um"s until he sent his address, to which Connor easily found a route to and parked in front of a small house.

Well, it wasn't small, but just not as big as the Murphy house. It was pretty cute, actually. But Connor hadn't much time to study it before Evan, who waited outside of the house, managed to peer through the tinted windows and recognize Connor's face.

He ran up to the car, then paused in front of the passenger's seat, twiddling his thumbs before the driver remembered to unlock the car, and soon he scrambled in, awkwardly jumbling up his words anxiously.

"Yo chill, I'm not gonna kill you, if that's what you're afraid of." He laughed, before starting the engine and getting a nod from Evan.

Was this a date? A friend-date? Were they even friends? Connor barely even knew. At least he got to spend time with a cutie.