Holy shit. Holy fucking shit.

Evan Hansen knew what it was like to be disliked. To be hated, thrown around, and treated unwelcomingly. He knew what it was like to be in the presence of someone who, despite how they acted around him, never truly enjoyed him as a person. So why didn't he expect Connor as an obvious culprit? Evan must've been blind not to see this outcome from a mile away.

Which might explain why it hurt so, so much when the curtain was pulled.

He was the first to be dropped off, probably because nobody likes Evan Hansen and everyone would be happier without him, and that his house was also closest. He could hear the car leaving once he started walking to the side door, mind racing about how he should've predicted this outcome and that he was a fool to even think that anyone would ever like him.

"Honey? You're home a bit early," Fuck. Heidi was home. He'd almost forgot. His mother turned from her laptop to look at her son, her smile quickly sinking into a frown when she saw the poor kid. "What happened, Ev?" She motioned Evan to sit with her on the couch, hugging him to protect him from any harm.

"I-It's nothing," He started, but unfortunately it came out as a sob, followed by the release of a storm of tears that wet Heidi's sweater, which made him bawl more at the thought of being gross because Evan was an ugly crier and Heidi didn't need this in her life.

His mom held him for moment that felt like an eternity, until Evan decided it was enough and broke apart from the embrace. His face was still red and a stray tear would run down his cheek every so often, but the big outburst was over with.

"Baby, did something happen?" Heidi reached for his hand, trying to keep eye contact with Evan despite him trying to avoid it.

Lying out of this would be hard. So would be telling the truth. Evan gave a simplified version of the true story. One not quite as detailed or highlighting on every aspect leading up to the final, messy, shitty product, but still an answer which was good enough for her.

"No one likes me anymore," He admitted, trying to gather himself up to sit on the couch properly- The boy was half on the sofa and half off, with his body sprawled out uncomfortably and his legs just lying on the ground.

"Well, I like you. Did you have a fight?" Evan nodded. "Mm... Mind telling me what your friends said to you?" Evan shook his head this time and tried to explain the best he could.

"Jared-"

"Jared?"

"Y-yeah, I, uh, said he wasn't really contributing to the project,"

"The... You Will Be Found Project? The one you've been working on recently?"

"Mhm. And I guess he just took stuff I said the wrong way and now he won't talk to me."

"Is it really all Jared? Are you sure it wasn't partially your fault, too?"

"Well... I-I guess I was pushy to him. He just never really was that nice to me. Then there's Connor-"

"The Murphy boy you hang out with a lot?"

"Yes, mom, Connor had a, uh, fight with his sister and he said," Evan choked on the words. "He said that he only really talked to me because he has nothing else to do."

Another hug ensued, and with a pat on the back, Heidi looked at her son, who was a bit more calm, and gave the best answer she could muster up. "Well, I'm proud of you for making friends in the first place, even if things might've not gone so nicely. Are you sure you don't want to talk it out with them? At least see if you can fix things up with one of the two, it'll really help you in the long run."