i hate this chapter wow

Connor's heart raced as he read over the message for the third time. He wasn't good at this! Connor was supposed to be really depressing, dammit. His fingers shook over the keyboard that stood at the bottom of his screen.

evee: y'know what that was a stupid question, nvm

Fuck. He was too slow.

Connor Kent: r u ok?

why would you ever think you're not?

evee: no just ignore it

its fine ok

Connor Kent: no really why

evee: i mean

you saw me at lunch

Im a mess

You know it

you ran off i guess

Connor Kent: i left for another reason. i swear

Connor couldn't help but imagining Evan, also shaking, sitting down with his phone in hand, tears pouring out of his eyes.

evee: then why'dd

you leave

He really was crying, wasn't he. Connor couldn't respond. He couldn't think of anything good to say. What, was he supposed to say "you're just really good looking"? Connor can't lie, it probably won't make Evan feel any better.

God he hates emotion.

Instead of replying, he guilty sighed and put his phone down, getting up to walk to his room, letting his legs take him up the stairs as he dismally lay onto his bed.

His bed was soft. Perks of having rich parents, huh. Grabbing his pillow, Connor tried to think of anything else, other than the failure he was at comforting his sad friend, whom he was pining for daily.

-

Believe it or not, sisters are incredible things.

"Alright, get up asshat, we're going to dinner." Zoe yelled through the door not too long after Connor had thought he'd fallen asleep. She kicked it open and stared down at Connor, hands on her hips. "So stop moping around."

"Is this some kind of sister-brother bonding thing mom wants us to do?" He grumbled, not even facing his sister as he slid off the bed.

"No, I have to babysit you while I get some help for bio." She accentuated 'babysit', and Connor rolled his eyes. Of course his parents didn't trust him on his own.

"With whom? And where's mom?" The brother stepped out into the hall, arms hanging by his side, defeated.

"Alana Beck, and Mom is out doing rich lady shit with her rich lady friends. C'mon, I promised her I'd be there in twenty."

"Maybe we can eat blocks of cheese before she makes us go on a dairy-free diet." He scrunched up his nose at the thought, which was actually a possibility with Cynthia, who always makes them do weird, crazy things.

Pretty soon they were out the door and in the car, watching the rain splatter on the windshield as shitty pop music played from the radio. Ew.

"Is it just Alana, you and I?" Zoe did this shit. Surprising Connor and destroying him with said surprise. He had to make sure that anything going on would at least not be her fault. She just seemed... So willing to take him. He even noticed that she slipped her algebra binder into her backpack, and not her bio one. Fuckin' strike Connor dead if he didn't catch Zoe doing something.

"I think. Alana said that a, an... Acquaintance of hers might show up."

"How do you even know her?"

"She did a volunteer thing for the jazz band. Alana goes to our school, idiot. Co-directed the play, was vp of the student body like twice, it goes on."

"And how do I know her?" That name sounded way too familiar for Connor's tastes.

"She works with Evan." The answer was quick and short and extremely painful. He felt his stomach sink when he heard the name of his friend who probably wasn't even his friend anymore because Connor's a dick and he just saw the dick side of Connor and now he'll tell everyone about how much a freak he is and he'll have even less friends than before-

And Connor just needed to breathe for a moment. Maybe he'll explain when Evan's not crying.