Derik

Benji opened his eyes. Where was he? He hazily recollected some events that might've included rooftops, or fighting, but how he got wherever he was lying right then was a mystery to him. He sat up and looked around. He was in a dimly lit room.  Every surface was covered in a layer of grime and it was hard to breath with the mildew in the air.  There were a few computer monitors on a desk to the left of the bed he was sitting on, and he could just make out that they were for security.  Wanting to investigate further, Benji tried to get off of the bed. He pulled on his hands, but he discovered that they were handcuffed to the bedposts. He felt his stomach flip inside of him as he realized he had no way to escape or defend himself if things got worse.  Trying to ignore the burning feeling in the pit of his stomach and the pounding of his heart, he turned towards the other side of the room for a hope of something, anything, that could help him escape.

     Suddenly, a man's voice rang out from the left side of the room. "You're awake, are you?" Benji turned to see a large, muscular man towering over him. His eyes were stone cold as he looked him up and down; inspecting him.  As the man stared, Benji's stomach growled loudly and he realized he didn't know when he had last eaten. The man's thin lips curled into an evil smirk at the sound. "We'll deal with that later," he said slowly, putting emphasis on every word through his thick accent.  Was is Russian? "For now, you will stay here." The man then turned to the security monitors and sat down to watch them.

  A few minutes passed before Benji could force himself to speak. "W-where am I?" He asked shakily.

  The man merely chuckled at his query. "Where your agent friends will never find you," was his reply.

  This triggered a flurry of questions from Benji. "Wait, what? Who are you? What are you doing here? What happened?!"

  "Quiet!" The man ordered, his voice taking over the enclosed space. "If Derik thinks you're being too loud, you won't live to see the daylight again." The hint of fear that was in the man's voice when he spoke told Benji that Derik should be taken seriously. He shuddered at the thought of something that could scare a man as tough and intimidating as this one.  Nodding frantically in agreement, he pressed his lips together in an effort to stop the flow of questions from leaving his mouth.

     A moment or two of silence passed before Benji heard the sound of a creaky door being opened behind him. He struggled to face it, but the handcuffs digging into his wrists won out in the end. He sighed in frustration and turned his head towards the new man, who was now standing in front of the computers, facing Benji. His dark hair had been slicked back with gel, and his blue eyes pierced through the dim lights, straight into Benji's shaking body. Yes, despite his smaller frame, Benji knew this had to be Derik. "Let's see what we have here...." Derik said, walking slowly around Benji.  He didn't speak loudly, but there was an air of authority in his voice that commanded the room.  "I assume you want to know where you are?"

  Benji could only nod weakly in response. His empty stomach was starting to get to him as he struggled to stay conscious.

     "Oh, a little light-headed, are you? I know what you really need. Food, yes? I'll get some for you and then we can have a little chat."