The Cabin Fever Breaks

Benji was awoken somewhat rudely by a strange sound.  Was somebody shouting?  He blinked his eyes open and got up out bed, heading for the door.  As soon as he opened it, he saw Brandt in the kitchen, whooping at the top of his lungs while throwing an empty cereal box above his head.

     "What on earth are you doing, Brandt?"  Benji was sure that he must've gone mad.  Was this cabin fever or complete insanity?

     "We got intel!"  Brandt screeched in reply. 

     New intel?  On Derik, perhaps?  Benji had many questions and was about to try asking Brandt more details when Ethan turned the corner and spotted the sight.  "Brandt!  Brandt, calm down," he shouted.  "Don't get everyone's hopes up.  Also, you look crazy."

     Brandt reluctantly set the box back on the counter and tried to contain his enthusiasm.  He was doing pretty well, aside from the grin that tugged at the corners of his mouth.

     Benji had no words left in him, so he stared at Ethan with his mouth hanging open, hoping that Ethan would get the drift.

     "It's not exactly intel...yet.  We've been contacted by a woman who claims to have information on Derik, but she needs us to do her a favor first."

     "A favor?  As in dangerous?"  Benji asked.  In the field, the two were practically synonymous. But oh, boy, did he wish that they weren't.

     "Yes, Benji.  Dangerous, but possible— at least with our team. We have to prevent a transaction from taking place between a crime lord and one of his contacts.  Apparently, it's some sort of information drop which will be hazardous to our woman in question's business.  I don't know the details, but I was going to meet with her in two days to find out more.  Interested in coming with me?"

     "M...me?"  Benji was still in shock over all the information he'd just heard.  A lead?  Was it too good to be true?

     "Yes, you," Ethan assured.  "We leave the apartment at 8 AM, so be ready by then."  And with that, he walked out of the kitchen and back to his office.  Brandt and Benji stared after him as he disappeared into a doorway.

     "Well la-dee-da, look who got themselves invited to the meet," Brandt drawled.  "It's not like he's had 2 other fully qualified agents stuck in his apartment for three weeks."

     Fully qualified?  What was that supposed to mean?  "I'm qualified too, you know," Benji retorted. 

    Brandt nodded.  "Uh-huh, sure."

     What was with Brandt?  30 seconds ago, he was screaming about how happy he was.  Does the whole team think that I'm some incompetent oaf?  Benji thought.  At least Ethan seemed to have some faith in him, but that could very well be misplaced.  After all, he's the one who made a mess of things in the first place.  But there's no time to think of that now; Benji had a meeting to prepare for.