Masks

It had been a full week and a half since Benji had returned, and there was still no sign of Derik, or any clues regarding to what he may be up to. The plan had been to remain in Ethan's apartment for as long as possible, since it was the safest place any of the team could think of. This method had worked decently, but it was becoming tense. Food was running low, and the antibiotics that Ilsa had been putting on Benji's cuts were beginning to run out. It was inevitable; they would have to venture out into the outside world.

"I'm beginning to think that Derik's trying to starve us out," Benji grinned as he entered Ethan's study, trying to lighten the mood. Everyone had been too solemn as of late, and it made him more uncomfortable than he already was.

Ethan smiled politely, but didn't seem to find his joke as funny as Benji did. "I'm afraid that might be his plan, Benji. We can't stay here without food for much longer. And Ilsa says that she's running out of your antibiotics."

"I know," Benji nodded, but then perked up a bit as a thought came to his mind. "When we send someone out, are we gonna use masks? I could finally wear a mask!" He didn't conceal his excitement; the entire team already knew that he was dying to use a mask.

Ethan chuckled. "I'm afraid not this time. We can't let you go out; it's too dangerous for you and the rest of the team. Besides, you're still healing from those cuts. You can't even lie down properly."

Benji's shoulders slumped. "Man....I was really hoping this time...." He looked up to see Ethan grinning at him, stifling laughter. "Hey, it's not funny!" He protested, but his mouth told otherwise as his lips parted into a wide grin. At least he's brightened up, Benji thought.