Two Sided

(Legolas' Thoughts)

Falling. Such a strange concept.

One becomes weightless, as if gravity isn't there. I can't really describe the feeling, but its nice. It's as if I'm free.

And darkness embraces everything, casting out the light. It adds to that sense of not knowing what lies below and when you will stop.

That's what I think at least. Maybe others don't, but then maybe they aren't falling like I am.

I guess it doesn't matter.

Especially since everything's now black...

~

(Legolas' POV)

I hurt.

No, that's an understatement. Let me rephrase: I feel as though someone has repeatedly stabbed me with a knife, beaten me relentlessly, and then to finish it off, set me on fire.

That's my pain.

Groaning, I pushed myself up onto my elbows. Opening up my eyes a little, I was surprised at what I saw. Somehow I had managed to land on a rock that jutted out from the wall of the ravine. I don't remember landing here, but I must have fallen unconscious.

I leaned over the edge, and saw only pitch black below me. I returned to laying down, and tried to remember what had happened.

Bits and pieces came to me. I remembered the battle taking place and Sauron being defeated. And then I was falling, Durvainor was below me...

Durvainor! My horse, where was he? I looked around me and realized that he must be back in the bottom of the ravine.

I sighed and looked above me. He was such a loyal horse, and I cared for him deeply. He didn't deserve to die.

I lay there for a while, ignoring my pain as I was lost in thought. The more I thought though, I began to realize something.

What happens now that Sauron's gone?

I work for him but he's been destroyed. What am I supposed to do that he's gone and left me? Even the Nazgul have been destroyed, leaving only whatever orcs survived.

I sat up, pushing aside my pain. Inside I felt something that shocked me: part of Sauron's spell had vanished, though part of it remained.

There were now two versions of Legolas in me, one that was compassionate and one that was vengeful. 

The good part of me realized that I could go to my friends. Surely they would find a way to heal me! But the bad part wanted to kill them all, or take my life instead.

Whatever side I was at the moment, both began to climb out of the ravine, despite the pain. All I know is that this had now become a battle between good and evil. What side would win I did not know.

As I climbed, the rocks broke under my grip and footing, wanting me to fall.  Despite this, I pushed on wards and grew closer and closer to the surface. I reached the top and pulled myself out. Taking one last glance at the ravine, I broke into a run towards MInas Tirith.

* /.../ = Good Legolas \...\ = Evil Legolas*

As I ran for the city, the Legolas' inside me fought one another.

/No! I will not let you hurt my friends!/

\Who are you to stop me? I have controlled you since the beginning, for you are a weak and pathetic elfling! You were never worthy to exist. Sauron should have killed you when he captured you!\

/I am not weak and pathetic and I will not let any harm come to my friends! I would rather die than let you win!/

\Is that so? Why, you should have said so sooner! By all means, I am more than happy to do that for you. But alas, I'd rather you watch as your friends die.\

The bad Legolas laughed and gained control over my body. I grinned and sped towards Minas Tirth with greater renewal. This would be fun and I couldn't wait!

HI! How'd you like the chapter? (Sorry it's not as long as my other ones) From now on, there will be two sides to Legolas here. You will probably be able to tell which one is in charge, won't be that hard.

Anyways, the first chapter to my prequel Above A Dimming Light has been published. So feel free to read it if you want!

Guess that's all for now! Bye bye!

~Zelinith