To Kill a Friend

WARNING: MAJOR HEARTACHE AHEAD! (AND ITS A LONG ONE)

(Legolas' POV)

"Kill me." As I said these words, Aragorn's face grew paler. I knew he would regret his decision to do what I wanted. This wasn't the cost he had expected.

But it was what I wanted. This was the real me, not the darker me; he was trying to break down the wall I had built mentally to keep him out. But my strength was waning and I knew he would eventually take control once again.

That was why I had to die. Selfish I know, but it is the only way to keep those who I love safe from me.

Aragorn was still currently speechless. He obviously didn't know what to say.

"Look Aragorn," my voice softer than before, "This is what I want. I know that the only way for me to ever be free is by death, so I ask you to give me that. Please, Estel. I need this."

Using his name given by the Peredhil's, he snapped out of his reverie and his face became softer.

"I-I." he stammered, before taking a deep breath. "I need to ask the others. They will want a say in this. That is my only request."

"So be it."

Aragorn then turned away and walked back up the stairs. After watching his figure vanish, I walked to the back of the cell and slumped against the wall.

So many thoughts coursed through my head.

My first one was about my father.

How would he react when he received word that his son had been killed? I don't know, but hopefully he will see that it is for the best; for his safety. My father is the one I look up to and wish for wish for his approval. I don't know if he will understand that my death is only out of the love I carry for him.

And then there is my home, Mirkwood, and the wood-elves. I will miss the forest and the merriment that the elves bring about. Not to mention the feasts and competitions. 

But most of all, how will my friends take it. I mean, I'm not the most social elf out there, but what will Aragorn, and the twins of Elrond think when I die?

So many questions, so many memories that I will leave behind.

I just hope they understand...

~

(Aragorn's POV)

"I-I." I stammered, taking a deep breath. "I need to ask the others. They will want a say in this. That is my only request."

"So be it."

I turned around and walked up the stairs quickly, pushing my way past the others. Once I had made it up the stairs and into the hallway, I stopped and waited for the others to come up. 

Slowly, they all filed through the door and into the hallway, gathering in front of me. By the looks on their faces, they were all aware of what Legolas' request was.

We stood there in silence, no one wanting to speak first.

It was Elrond who broke the silence we had created.

"We should have known that this was coming." he said. "We knew from the start that it was the only way to release him and now, it's what he desires."

"But that doesn't mean we have to kill him!" Arwen exclaimed. "Are we sure that there is no other way? There must-"

"There is no other way." Elrond cut in. "It's the only option and with his mind being controlled in two different ways, we have no choice."

"He's right," Gandalf sighed, "As much as I hate it to be true, Legolas is a threat to all while still being under the spell. The threat has to be removed."