Wish of a Friend

(Aragorn's POV)

A light breeze blew through the open window, enveloping me in its chill. Black clouds hung over Minas Tirith, threatening to release its rain on us.

It was a day full of despair for everyone who witnessed what happened last night. Just closing my eyes and I can still see Legolas screaming in pain. Him pleading for us to help him.

And when he passed out, everyone started moving at once. The guards who had arrived grabbed the elf and brought him to the cells while Glorfindel and I were dragged away.

I was barely aware of the arrow being removed, my mind focused on the display we'd just seen. For some reason, I felt as though Legolas was trying to battle the darkness that he has, but failing inside.

I had to go talk to him. I needed to know what to do to help my friend. I couldn't see him suffer.

I had been left in my room the night before and had ended up sitting in a chair the entire time. Pushing myself up with one arm, for the other is in a sling, my joints groaned at the action.

After standing straight up, I stretched my legs and my right arm. Succeeding in bringing my limbs back to life, I hurried out of my room and outside.

Barely avoiding people, I ran down the streets making straight for the cell house. As I turned the last corner, I slowed my pace only to stop dead in my tracks. Apparently, everyone else had the same idea as I did.

The same group from last night was gathered once more again, although for a different matter this time. Elrond stepped forward towards me, as I did the same. 

"I thought you would be here soon." Elrond said. "we were just about to head inside, though Now that you're here, you can lead the way." The others parted from the door, leaving me enough room to reach the door.

Nodding my head, I walked up to the door and opened it, and slowly making my way down the staris.

It was darker inside, a few torches placed on the walls to light the way. Following them, I turned right and made my way down another set of stairs.This time, it became wider, cells lining the walls.

At the end of the hallway, a guard stood next to a cell. Knowing this was Legolas', I dismissed the guard, not needing him here any longer.

Stepping in front of the cell door, I finally got a good look at Legolas. He was huddled in the corner, blood coating his clothes which were torn and frayed.

Turning his head to look at me, his skin was extremely pale and had bags under his eyes. Even his eyes were paler than before, and I noticed that his eyes were once again a very light blue, the mark on his face smaller than before. A sign that he was somewhat himself again.

Taking a deep breath, I began to speak.

"So," I said, "Seems like you are better..." I think that was the lamest way to start, but I have no idea what to say.

He looks at me, an eyebrow raised. Then he looks away again. Before I have the chance to say anything better, he starts suddenly.

"Better." Legolas said. "If only you knew how wrong you are. But I suppose you wouldn't, so I will tell you how wrong you are." He looks at me again and stands up, approaching slowly.

I resist the urge to step back, but hold strong as he stops directly in front of the cell door, inches from where I stand.

"Do you think it is better that now I have regained part of myself and still have Sauron's slave as well inside of me? Is it better that no matter what I do, what I say, I am being forced back by this darkness that wants me to destroy everyone I love? Well. What say you?"

I stand there just listening as he leans forward, spatting the words into my face. He breathes hard, anger sketched onto his face.

"I-I." I stammer. "I do not think that is better. None of us knew that you were facing this. Tell us what we can do to help and th-"

"Help? You think you can just help me and then everything will be perfectly normal again?" Legolas asked incredulously. "I do not want your help, more or less your words of supposed comfort. You can not help me from what I face. None of you can."

He spit out that last part as if it were poison. I notice the others have slowly inched backwards, leaving me alone with Legolas. It's up to me now.

"There must be something, anything we can do. No matter the cost." I plead with him.

He had walked to the back of the cell, head lowered towards the wall. At this though, he slowly spun around and began back towards me. An eerie feeling crept from him.

"Anything, no matter the cost." he said softly. Then he looked at me and spoke louder.

"Swear to me that no matter what I ask of you, you will do it. Swear it!"

I hesitated a moment, and then answered. "I swear that no matter the cost, I shall do what you ask."

"Good." he simply said and I instantly regretted swearing it to him. And at his next words, dread washed over me like a tidal wave.

"Kill me."

OMG I AM SO SORRY ABOUT THE WAIT! I have had serious testing and review and all kinds of crap going on for the past few weeks. But I am free now for the most part.

This story only has 2 chapters left (I am pretty sure) and then my focus will be on the prequel and another dark story I plan to write soon.

The wait for the next chapter will NOT be this long. I promise!

~Zelinith