Epilogue

As Legolas' lifeless body dropped to the ground, silence laid over Minas Tirith.

Shock, sorrow, and anger swept through everyone present, the reality of their friends death not registering in their minds.

No one made a move towards the body that lay away from them. They were frozen in place, almost as if they were statues.

It was Arwen who made the move towards the elf taking slow, careful steps as if the ground may break beneath her as she made her way.

When she reached the body, she carefully turned him over and cradle him in her arms. Only then, did her heart-wrenching sobs come forth...

~

It was a few days later that word of Legolas' death reached his father.

For anyone within distance of the Elven Kings room would have heard a loud cry come from within. Inside, Thranduil sank to the floor, tears unabashedly streaming down his face.

His only hold in Middle-Earth was gone from this world, taken in a way that no father would wish for.

And the last time he had seen him was before he was turned.

How cruel the world is.

Bent over his knees, he let out all his pain and misery, his anger and hatred towards a world that didn't care.

Oh, how the Valar betrayed him.

~

About a month later, Thranduil rode into Minas Tirith, the company with him all covered in an air of sorrow.

It was a mellow greeted him at the top.

Not a word was spoken, only small smiles and tears.

As if by a silent question, Aragorn beckoned for Thranduil to follow him and began to walk away.

Leading Thranduil to where Legolas rested at the moment, the others slowly trailed behind.

Upon reaching the room, Aragorn stepped away towards the others. With a slight nod of his head, Thranduil went in.

The others gave one last look at the door and walked away.

Thranduil closed the door softly, not wanting to look behind him for he knew what would lay there.

Taking a deep breath, he turned around.

Immediately tears escaped from his eyes as they rested upon the still form of his only child.

Legolas' skin was almost translucent, creating a stark contrast to the dark green robes he was dressed in. His golden hair had his warrior braids, fanning out around his head. He looked completely at peace the way he lay there as if he was asleep and none of the past events had ever occurred. The only indication that he was truly dead was that his once bright elven glow, was now missing.

Walking over to his son's body, his eyes drank in every feature so that it would forever be etched in his mind.

Upon reaching where Legolas lay, Thranduil buried his head into his son's shoulder and cried.

~

Weeks later, the group was gathered in Eryn Lasgalen, renamed after Legolas so he would always be in the memories of those he loved.

They stood by and watched as their beloved friend was set a blaze. A haunting song rose as his ashes blew away in the breeze, spreading through the forest.

The flames rose towards the star filled sky, as if Legolas' spirit was finally being released.

All who looked on did so with a sorrowful face, tears streaming down most faces if those gathered.

At the end of the ceremony, everyone departed to return to the halls.

When the clearing was finally emptied, the only thing remaining was a stone engraved with a few words in elvish.

Legolas Greenleaf

Son, leader, warrior, friend

May he find peace at last.

Yes this is the end. And yes this isn't the greatest story you could find out there (at least I'm not fond of how it turned out). It was my first fan fic I've ever written so I hope it wasn't too bad of a read.

I hope you guys liked this story, my newer ones will most likely be better!

Thank you for reading!

~Zelinith