ØŃĘ

2004

Caroline was 4 years old. Luke never spoke to her because she'd never remember. By the time she was 4 he could speak to her. Be her friend. He always took care of her while he waited for her to turn of age.

Caroline sat in her room on the floor playing with blocks. She giggled and laughed and her happiness always made him happy. Her hair was long and brown and her eyes were a beautiful light brown, almost hazel.

He loved her so much. He just wanted the curse to end. He had killed himself too many times and watched her die too many times. He couldn't take it anymore.

"Hey." He sat down next to young Caroline, finally revealing himself yo her.

"Who are you?" She struggled to speak with her age.

"I'm Luke. Hemmings. I'm your friend." He smiled. She smiled back.

"I'm Caroline." She giggled.

"I know." Luke chuckled. "What are you doing?" Luke asked.

"Spelling my name." Caroline spoke enthusiastically, pointing at the blocks.

"Spell it for me." Luke asked Caroline.

She nodded and grabbed the blocks.

She spelled it K-A-R-I-L-I-N-E.

Luke laughed. He switched K with C and I with O. It now spelled C-A-R-O-L-I-N-E.

"Oh." Caroline looked at the spelling in fascination.

There was a knock on her door and her parents walked in. Luke didn't have to hide. The curse only allowed Caroline to see him.

"Mommy! Daddy!" She shouted and stood up. "I want you to meet my friend!"

Luke blushed, for this was the first time Caroline actually wanted to introduce him to her parents. The blush quickly faded, knowing they could never meet him.

Luke heard her mom whisper to her dad that she had an imaginary friend. Luke frowned. "I'm not imaginary." Luke muttered to himself. Caroline heard.

"Why would you be imaginary Luke?" Caroline tilted her head at him.

"Caroline, who's Luke?" Her mom asked and leaned on the door frame.

"Him! My friend." Caroline excitedly pointed at Luke. Luke continued to frown.

"Caroline, they can't see me."

"Why not Luke?" Caroline began to pout.

"Adults can't see me." Luke lied.

"You're too old to see him." Caroline explained.

"Oh, I see." Caroline's dad nodded with that Santa-is-totally-real face.

Santa is real, Luke thought and rolled his eyes. He had met him before.

Caroline's mom and dad left the room. "I wish my mommy and daddy could see you." She began to grow very sad.

"It's okay. No one has ever tried to introduce me to their parents before." Luke said. The no one being previous hers.

"I'm sowwy." Caroline felt sad for Luke, going over to hug him. Luke didn't even bother to try and hug her back because he knew it wouldn't work. She just walked right through him.

"I'm sorry, Caroline."

"Why can't I hold you?"

Luke grew sad from her words. "You just can't. I'll explain it when you get older." Luke's face Caroline a reassuring smile. Caroline smiled back.