Chapter 14 - Gold

♫: Gabrielle Aplin - Please Don't Say You Love Me
*****

Hoseok stood in front of his best friend's house. His brown hair lifted and fell back onto his forehead as the cold wind blew, the sound of dried leaves dragging across the tar of the road reaching his ears.

Hoseok sighed. He wanted his friend to be happy. But he knew, that what was happening, would affect his happiness in the long run, that his best friend's happiness now, would lead to his sorrow in the future. Hoseok didn't want that, and he knew that unlike him, Taehyung wouldn't make it out alive.

He pursed his lips together, having made his decision. Pulling his phone out of his pocket, he tapped on his contacts app. The screen changed, displaying two numbers. One was Taehyung's, and another, was a number he hadn't touched for a year. Hoseok could never bring himself to delete it.

He ignored the other number, tapping on Taehyung's, bringing the phone to his ear, the cold metal pressing against his skin.

He heard the familiar mellifluous voice of his friend after a few rings.

"Hoseok? What's up." Hoseok could make out from his best friend's voice, that he was content. And somehow, Hoseok knew it was because of Jungkook. He had seen the way Taehyung smiled when he was with the petite boy. Hoseok felt hurt that he never had that effect on his best friend, who he had known for almost a year longer than Jungkook.

He swallowed nervously. He knew that Taehyung would go back to being indifferent after they talked. It tore him apart, but he had to do what was best for his best friend.

"Nothing really. I'm near your house. Can I stop by?"

"Sure thing."

Hoseok nodded, even though he knew Taehyung couldn't see the gesture. He hung up, slipping his phone back into his front pocket.

  ~~~~~T-I-M-E~S-K-I-P~~~~~

Taehyung remained silent.

The two of them were seated on his bed. A tear slid down Hoseok's cheek, after he finally completed narrating the story he had kept hidden from his best friend for a year.

"So is that why you were depressed? Is that what had happened that day I found you a year ago?" Taehyung asked, a grim expression on his face.

The brown-haired boy looked up, his eyes finally meeting his best friend's clouded ones.

He nodded slightly.

Taehyung's image of the white-haired boy in his class changed completely. He wondered how hurt the boy must have felt, not even receiving an explanation from Hoseok. Taehyung wanted to tell his best friend to say something to Yoongi, but he realised that it wasn't his place to say anything.

Taehyung's eyes softened. Hoseok kept his gaze. "Taehyung, you know what your parents are capable of, even just to spite you. My mother let me off with a warning, but your parents won't, and you know that. Tae, I know you're smart enough to know that what I'm saying makes sense."

Taehyung glanced out his window before his eyes travelled back to his best friend. "Why can't I even be his friend?"

"Taehyung. Look me in the eyes and tell me that you don't feel anything for him."