Chapter Eight

Chapter eight

“Long time no see Miss,” Clyde smirked while drying a pint glass with the blue and white checked tea-towel.

 He stood behind the bar wearing black jeans with his grey button-up shirt tucked in, his belt was showing. His hair was blonde and fluffy, piercing blue eyes twinkling as soon as I walked through the door; the board expression was no longer evident.

“Missed me that much?” I purred, back to my normal habit of flirting.

“I have, yes. I’ve had no one to point out the hot men for me.” He sulked.

It was probably true. Clyde was always shy with him being gay he always needed someone to point him in the right direction, someone being me.

“Well there’s a gay hotty to the right.” I smirked pointing with my eyes.

“How do you do that? You have been standing here for two minutes without a drink yet, might I add and you find one just like that” He clicked his fingers to add emphasis to his sentence.

I giggled at him.

“Did you just giggle Miss Etherington?”

I sighed in defeat. “Don’t ask,” I gave him a stern look to tell him not to mess with me.

“So what would giggles want to drink?” He raised his eyebrows while I searched the pumps that were lining up by the wooden bar.

“A pint of Guinness please,” I stretched onto the metal bar stool trying to not fall off as I got up.

The pub was decent; it was mostly preoccupied with men who want to get away from their wives. The walls were a dark green, carpet was a dusty red. It was definitely a male’s world with the flat screens in every corner, the darts bored and the pool table. People were spread out everywhere talking in loud booming voices, everyone stood leaving the dark wooden tables and stools empty. This was the norm.

“There you go,” He slid the pint glass over to me the foam sloshing over the top leaving a mark on the side.

“Oh shoot,” I mumbled looking in all of my pockets for money.

“It’s alright missy it’s on the house.” He nodded towards me, understanding what I was looking for, money.

“Are you sure?” I knew that his boss was strict and loved to count all of the money at the end of the day.

“Yeah, the amount of men you bring in pays for a lifetime of drinks at this pub for you. And as you come here every night I think that’s a lot.”

“Thanks,” I called to him as he went to talk to the hotty I pointed out to him.

The first sentence was predictable for him, “Your name must be Gillette...”

“Huh?” The man asked.

“The best a man can get…”

He always used that chat up line when talking to men at the bar, ever since someone asked me that it stuck to him like pollen sticking to a bee’s legs.

A couple of hours had gone, four beers were sitting in my stomach and new people had come into the pub and old people had gone out. Most of the time I just sat there gaining winks from the men; I just turned back around and ignored them. The best thing to do with the Seth situation, each time I looked at another man in that way I felt appalled and a sickening feeling lingered in the bottom of my stomach making me grimace.

 I did not know what to do; I liked Seth that much was obvious to me but what would happen if she came back or if he hurt me? My life already sucked and I was just about above the line of going into depression. If I lost the new people in my life right now that I loved and cared for I would go right under that line and I couldn’t bear to think of the things I would do to me and others around me.