4. THE CRY FOR ALLAWEE

One of the worst punishments for corpers is to delay their allawee payment. Growing up with just my mom and my brothers, I never really understood why she always complained about alert. Thanks to NYSC, I finally have an idea how frustrating that is. My very first allowance as a corper and it was over two weeks late. It's no wonder depression and suicide are rampant in this recession period. Being broke is not a condition I will wish upon my enemy. It is really frustrating and can get you pissed with every and anything around you.
Corpers in Osun state got their alert as at when due, but I was told it was Yobe state that would pay my first 3months. So I got in touch with fellow corpers like me that redeployed from Yobe and it was the same story. So began the struggle. Each person took it upon themselves to contact anybody that can be called. Their were series of calls and messages to the DG of NYSC, the state coordinator Yobe state, state accountant NYSC, our LGIs and anyone else whose number we happened to have. Am pretty sure some people would have called President Buhari or the VP if their numbers were available.
Some people had their calls recorded just to share with others. I particularly liked a part where someone called the DG and once he heard non payment of allawee, he was like did you redeploy from Yobe? And then he said something like "this Yobe man is a useless man" 😁😁😁. That was frustration talking. Like we shouldn't be the only frustrated ones nah. There was also another one to the DG where the girl bust into tears and started complaining of being hungry and having no money to eat or go to her PPA. The DG was like "is that why you are crying?". And asked her to stop crying that they were working on it. I didn't bother to make any calls though. Even though I was broke and needed the money, I decided to just save my credit and divert the money to something else.
After series of calls, texts and prayer on the matter. Our prayers finally got answered four weeks later and the said alert entered. I can't explain the feeling I got when I saw it but it was euphoric. I was all smile through that day.
P.S:- you never truly know what happiness is until you see alert after weeks of waiting for it. Go and ask my fellow Corp members. They understand.
Finally I can make a budget and see what I can achieve in the remaining 9months left.
Watch out Osogbo, there is a new Sheriff in town (figuratively). This corper is taking charge of her life and I am empowered by 19800 and then some. So be warned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!