5

Rachel

The sky was still dark when I woke up, but I was wide awake. My mind instantly went to last night.

Daryl came over. We were okay.

I let out a long sigh and closed my eyes. His eyes lit up.. Why did I panic? What would have happened if I didn't back away?

Without realizing, I brought my fingers up to my lips, and the thought of what could have been filled my mind. It was strange to think of Daryl in this way, but then again it wasn't strange at all. It was all so natural and I couldn't help but feel like it would be right.

I turned onto my side and saw I had an extra hour before I had to get up. I reached for my Walkman and pressed play. It was the Jelly Roll Morton tape Daryl picked up for me at this old shop a couple months back during his "hunting trip" with his dad.

After the tape stopped I was left to my continuous and confusing thoughts. Eventually, the alarm went off, and I got out of bed. After getting ready, I fed my sister and dropped her off at preschool, then headed to school.

I walked in to homeroom and my eyes scanned the class for Daryl.  He wasn't there.

Seemed about right, but I was still a bit disappointed. When I sat down, My buddy Ben commented on my punch and told me Matthew was suspended..

I was zoning out while the teacher did the rest of the attendance until I heard her call my name again. I looked up and she motioned for me to come to her desk. Great. I walked up to her and she gave me a look of pity, "Mr. Carver would like to see you in his office."

I nodded, already knowing. I grabbed my backpack and walked out to his office.  I walked up to the window outside his office and he motioned for me to come in.

"Goodmorning Rachel, have a seat please" he said. He was calm but their was an annoyance to his tone. I glared at him but sat down. "So with what happened yesterday.. Rachel, what was that all about?" I looked down and I heard him sigh. Carver liked me. He was always rooting for me and I knew that my new frequent visits to his office (that didn't have to do with college) were disappointing him. "Daryl and Matthew were fighting. Correct?"

I nodded.

"And you stepped in?" He asked as if he didn't know.

I sighed and I nodded again.

He coughed to clear his throat. "Daryl has been very hostile and non compliant lately.. And rather fixing the problems at hand he fights and leaves. His behavior cannot be-." I snorted, and he stopped speaking. He stared me in the eye and sharply said, "You know.. I don't understand what- why you bother with him. He's not good for you Rachel. He's jeopardizing your future."

I scoffed, "Sir, I'm sorry, but you're out of line. We- We mind our own business! And when things get out of hand it's out of defense."

"Rachel, you can't afford the trouble. You broke a kid's nose AND you ditched the rest of the day. That's the third time you've skipped this school year and we are only about to finish the second quarter. You have schools looking at you. Schools that would love for you to join them. Too much is at risk, and what? All for a crush?"

That set me off.

I shook my head and the anger I felt grew. I began to reach for my bag, I didn't want to deal with this. Carver wasn't a bad guy. He cared for me, but he was crossing the line. He continued, before I could stand up, "Daryl will face a suspension for what he did yesterday. You, you get a warning but that behavior will not be tolerated. Daryl has been instigating fight after-"

"No! I'm sorry, but no, you're so wrong! Matthew picked the fight with Daryl.. I stepped in. I stopped it. I left because Daryl had to be seen by a doctor. His ribs are bruised. Cuts on his face, swollen eye. He had to be seen and not by our school nurse." My hands gripped the end of his desk and I realized I had stood up. I quickly sat back down.

"Where is Daryl now? He wasn't in class." He asked calmly.

"He's at home resting. His dads sick so that's probably why he never called.." My voice grew quiet when I said the last part. Everyone knew Daryl's dad. He knew what he was. His eyes softened. He went to speak but I cut him off.

"Carver, he's trying. He's working so hard. The odds are already against him, but come on! He is doing pretty well in his classes. He-he keeps to himself and only fights when he sees it as necessary for his or my protection.. he-"

"Do you know what started the fight? Daryl has been taking more action in these quarrels only recently.."

"I can assure you, Daryl hadn't done anything to provoke Matthew. He never does. Matthew's been taunting Daryl for years now. You know that. And the recent fights are because of what Matthew has been saying to him. Things to do with.. his mom. Doesn't justify Daryl for fighting at all, but Matthew needs to stop. Daryl and I, we try to mind our own business. We stay low, do well in class. But when one of us is disrespected, you can't expect us to take it lightly. We're doing the best we can."

I let out a long sigh, and sat back after realizing I had leaned forward out of frustration. He let out a similar sigh and shook his head. 

"If Daryl is suspended then so am I. And we both know I can't afford that, you said it yourself." I added. Carver gave a weak smirk and nodded. His face frowned after a beat and he sighed again. He put his hand to his head, leaning on his desk out of frustration. It was understandable. 

After a few seconds he brought his head back up to look at me. "Daryl can not get into anymore trouble.. He better be here tomorrow and on time. He will need to come to my office and pick up some things, so have him do so. I won't hesitate to give a proper punishment next time.. you understand?"

I nodded while looking down. 

"Okay, good. You both are assigned detention the next 3 days. Alright. You can get back to class."

I stood up and headed for the door.

"Rachel." 

I turned and met his eyes. "Heard it was one helluva swing." His face was serious but he briefly smirked, "But please, no more broken noses.." 

I gave a weak smiled and laughed. "Can't afford it." He shook his head, smiling as I walked out.

The rest of the school day was incredibly long. I occasionally hear some remarks made about what happened the day before. Mostly praises, which were all too satisfying. Once the last bell rang, I made my way over to see Daryl. His dad's truck was gone and I was relieved. I knocked on the door five times and about a minute later, he opened the door smiling.

Heyo! No Daryl in this chapter, but I thought this was a needed filler. Anyways, Hope you enjoyed! Thanks for reading <3