12

Daryl

We left a bit before sunrise and met up with Buck and Jess at some diner. They all talked about how I was to be a man now, Jess asked about the job.. And that was that. Buck rarely acknowledged my existence after the basic small talk shit, which was fine I guess. Jess was always pretty cool with me. We headed out to their favorite spot and unpacked everything.

"Hey Daryl!" I turned and Jess and Buck walked over to me holding something wrapped up in a blanket. Jess smiled, "Happy birthday kid." I nodded as he handed it to me and set it down carefully on the bed of the truck. It was pretty heavy.

I unwrapped it and a grin spread across my face. It was a crossbow. I picked it up and tried setting it against my arm.

"It's a Horton Scout 125, thing's a beast. She'll be good to ya." Jess added, Buck threw his arm around Jess's shoulder as the two watched me with amusement. They laughed as I was trying the whole thing out.

"It's got helluva weight ha-" I said struggling to get its positioning right. Jess came up and showed me how to hold it right. Buck came around with a pack of arrows.

I was psyched, I turned to my dad smiling and even he was happy for me. "That's gonna be yer baby from now on. Master that, trust it with yer life." I nodded to my dad and he gave me a proud look.

"It's from the three of us.." Jess gave me a reassuring nod.

I turned to them, "Thanks.. a lot." I smiled at them and Jess said for us to get going.

Rachel

I couldn't even make to breakfast. As soon as I stepped into the kitchen, my brother had a teasing tone. "Morning Rachel." He smirked at me while he took waffles out of the freezer.. Somehow he knew.

"So you stayed there for a bit last night.." He stated. I was confused to what made him know now, it wasn't something I haven't done before.

"I always stay for a bit." I said nonchalantly.

He glanced at me. "You went straight to bed after." I yawned and sat at the counter, trying to act like I didn't know where he was getting at.

"Dude look at me.." His voice was calm but teasing. I looked at him and shrugged. He grabbed a plate and a fork, "So.. how'd it even play out? I can't see Daryl making the first move.."

My head snapped up at him and I shifted uncomfortably. He laughed at my reaction and kept pressing, "C'mon Rachel, I'm your brother, I know you."

I shifted again, my face was burning, but I began to smile thinking about what happened last night. I rolled my eyes playfully, and laughed, "Believe it or not, it was all Daryl.. And it only happened seconds before he went inside.."

Ricky grinned and shook his head. "Took you guys long enough.. How do you think things will even be between you guys now."

My brows furrowed at his question. "What are you talking about?"

He became a bit serious and it made me uneasy. "I don't know.. You guys just need to be careful. You guys have been best friends, but I mean, it'll be different now."

I couldn't understand why he was saying these things. I shook my head and waved it off, "Ricky, this is Daryl we're talking about, he- there's nothing to worry about. We- I mean- nothing's changed."