9

Rachel

I love you too...

I watched his eyes closely, not fully sure of what kind of response would be right. Daryl wasn't one to say things like that, and hearing those words- I knew he loved me, but he loved enough to finally be able to accept it and make it real for himself. I was trying to process the whole thing, I mean I was half asleep and still buzzing. I saw he immediately regretted saying it. He felt too exposed..

See ya..

He climbed out of the window and hopped down. I sat there for maybe a minute when I jumped up from my bed, threw on a sweater and shoes and climbed out myself. I ran after him, when I turned the corner of my front yard I saw him a couple blocks down. I didn't make it too far before he heard me. He could hear anything, I could never sneak up on him. He stopped walking and waited for me to catch up.

"What are ya doi-"

I threw my arms around him and he stumbled back. He was tensed and he patted my back awkwardly. I held him tight and when he finally wrapped his arms around me I let out a shakey breath. "I won't leave." He froze, and after hesitation he nodded.

We stayed right there for a couple minutes. He finally spoke up, with his raspy voice, "I ain't goin' anywhere either."

I looked up at him and he rested his forehead on mine. He scrunched his nose and I returned our gesture. It was freezing, and there was a breeze. I shuddered and he held me closer, but his head stayed resting in mine.

"You- you don't have to- " I sighed, I chose my words very carefully, you had to with Daryl. "You don't have to do that."

He looked at me confused and lifted his head, but didn't let go of me. "Do what?"

I frowned, I couldn't find a better way to say it. "You don't have to push what you said away.. because it's real, and that's okay.." He stared at me, but then looked past me and pulled me into a tighter hug. He held onto me like he'd lose me if he loosened his grip even a little. I breathed in his scent and took the moment all in. "Happy Birthday Daryl."

I pulled away, letting my arms slide down his into his hand. I let my hand linger and scrunched my nose. He did it back and lightly squeezed my hand. "I'll see ya" he whispered. "Okay."

Daryl

I got inside and looked at the clock. 2:57. All the lights were off so I assumed I'd be fine.  As I walked through the front room, I saw my dad passed out of his chair. I did my best to be as quiet as I could, I didn't want to wake him up.

I only reached the hall way when I heard his cold. hoarse voice. "Hey!" I froze. I turned towards him as I heard him stand up from his chair. I backed up a bit, just enough to get to the bathroom so I could put my backpack inside. I didn't want anything in it to break, I closed the door and inched closer to where I had been as he dragged his feet towards me.

"Fuckin' hell- where the fuck you been? It's 3 in the fuckin' mornin!" His voice stared to raise and I tensed as he got closer, my breathing picked up. "With that Girl? Fuckin her? The fuck you been Daryl?!" He was only a couple feet in front of me as he yelled and slurred. I shifted my feet and my breath hitched. "Huh?! Daryl?!"  He lunged towards me and my arms went up. He stopped, huffing and he leaned forward.