31

Rachel

The last month was pretty hectic, but we made it very much our own, or as much of it that allowed us too. We ended up skipping our senior prom and going to the drive-in, while eating Chinese take out. It was the best. We wore comfy clothes and just enjoyed each other's company in the Dart while the school did its thing. We joked around, ate candy and honestly kissed more than actually watching the movie. That night was our only real break since.

Daryl wasn't staying the night as much since he was staying with Jess and Merle, so I'd only see him at school and after he got out of work. He stayed clear of alcohol after that one day. When I brought him back to Jess's, they gave him hell for being a lightweight.

Merle managed to keep out of trouble, well, out of big trouble since they moved into Jess's. Things were finally starting to feel like they were moving along smoothly.

Our last semester was at an end and with finals and last minute assignments due, I was a complete mess trying to maintain at least three A's to go with my B's. Daryl didn't stress much about any of it. He had managed to get five C's and a B; he was pretty satisfied with himself and figured he didn't have to worry about nothing.

Daryl took more shifts the last month in order to save up as much as he could before the school year ended, and I made sure to get any projects or assignments done for the both of us. I didn't mind doing his homework, he had done most of it himself all year and now he was working to save up for our place when we'd go to Athens in two months.

Athens. I still hadn't talked to my parents about Daryl living with me, and they had just started looking into apartments for me to rent the past weekend. I figured once I found a place I'd tell them. As far as they knew, Daryl would be working here at the garage and visit on weekends.

In less than two weeks, we'd have nothing holding us back from starting our own lives together. It couldn't end fast enough. I was so ready to walk that damn stage.

------------------------------------

Daryl

The last two weeks of school were just one big blur really. In between school and work, all I'd be doing was kick back or be at Rachel's place, "working on homework," when really we'd be makin' out, listening to good music. School was no concern anymore, but Rachel still spazzed out until the very end. She finished with good grades, I managed to pass my finals, and we walked the stage today.

Even the whole graduation was a blur. I got to be right behind Rachel the entire time. And with the excitement of leaving this lame ass school and going off and living with Rache while she went to college, I couldn't keep myself from staring at her and smiling the whole time. I was so fucking stoked I didn't even mind the bombardment of pictures by her family. They were so proud of her, of us. It was weird to be praised and be told they were proud of me but it made me feel pretty good.

Jess and Merle showed up, and while I was a bit worried of Merle being around, I was happy to see them there for me. He kept quiet and they stayed a bit away from her family for the most part. They walked over to us afterwards for a moment, Merle threw his arm around me roughly and ruffled my hair, "Good job baby brother.." I pulled away awkwardly and Jess pulled me in for a hug. Monica ended up inviting them over for the party to be nice, but to my relief, Merle declined.

We headed back to their home afterwards for the grad party. Her whole family showed up; people I didn't even know existed filled her house all to celebrate her. Ricky had joked about how her family got down with parties, and man, Mexicans can fucking party.