34

Daryl

The guys were a couple drinks in, having a good time but my mind was still gone. I had barely touched my drink, I wondered when my head would stop spinning. "What's up with ye Daryl?" Jess jerked his head towards me and Merle grew quiet and leaned forward. I shrugged, "Nothin'.."

"Bullshit baby brother, you're far gone in that head of yours." His eyes stared me down and he had a grin in his face, I looked to Jess who seemed to be genuinely curious. I didn't know if I should tell them. I didn't wanna hear shit from them.

I began to chew on my lip and shrugged again, "Just working things out right now."

"With what? Your girl?" Jess rested on his folded arms on the table. My eyes darted to his and I grew more tense, "Yeah.."

"What she ain't putting out no more?" Merle smirked at me and I rolled my eyes. My thumb traced my bottom lip as I tried choosing my words carefully, "Nah, it ain't-" I sighed as began to fidget with the beer bottle in front of me. Merle chuckled, "Wha? Did ya knock her up?" That got me to look back up at him, and then to Jess. Jess's eyes flashed with realization and Merle's face went straight. I was hesitant, but I nodded. Merle leaned back in his chair, and scratched his chin and went silent for a long beat, looking some type of way, "Ho-ly fuck.. I was- I was only joking..."

Silence hit for a beat but Jess leaned forward, "Rachel's pregnant?" As I nodded, I felt a bit shameful for whatever reason. Maybe it was the way his tone was. Or maybe it was just the fact that I was fresh outta high school and I managed to get my girl pregnant.

Merle's eyes were dead serious, I'd never seen him look so grown. "Whatcha gonna do with it? Keep it?" I frowned. The thought of not keeping it never even crossed my mind. I took a sip from my drink, "Yeah- I mean, we haven't talked it all through yet but we're gonna keep it."

"When did ya find out?" Jess asked. He looked a little too concerned. "A few hours ago. She came by this mornin'.."

"How the hell ya manage- Fuck Dare.." Merle shook his head and continued to lean far back into his chair. Jess thought for a bit, "How she feeling about it all?"

I began to bite on my lip. How she looked when we talked... like a kid who was terrified.. I started to feel overwhelmed again, "She's scared.."

"Are you?" He asked too quickly, and it stumped me. I cleared my throat, "Don't matter. Gotta take care of them now.."

"Do you even want it?" Merle asked with a straight face.. Which made me question myself. I mentally scolded myself for even questioning it right after. Of course I want it. I wanted anything and everything, as long as it was with her.

"Of course he wants it." Jess looked back to me for reassurance, I nodded. "Jesus.. well if you're happy, I'm happy little brother."

Silence fell over us for a minute, which wasn't normal. Merle started to get restless and was clearly getting in uncomfortable by the tension that hung in the air, "Fuck it, let's celebrate! My baby brother's gonna be a daddy!" His smiled faded, "Fuck Dare- you even ready to be a dad?"

Jess quickly cut in, saving us from that conversation, "Why dontcha get us some more drinks Merle. We can all use em." Merle nodded and gave me an apologetic look. He spun around and staggered over to the counter.