30

Rachel

The two nights we spent there flew by and we had to get home before my parents would. But we played it smart and had everything ready to go so we could enjoy the morning before hitting the road. After staying under the covers for an hour after we had woken up, we got dressed and packed up the tent.

The ride back had been different from our ride up here. It was like we hit a reset button and we were back to our normal us. We joked around, Daryl moved his head to some songs, and I sat in the middle seat so I could rest my head on his shoulder. We really needed this.

When we got back into town, we stopped over at my grandma's to pick up Layla. She didn't question much, only asking if Daryl and his family were okay.  We headed back home to find Marco's bike outside the house. The door wasnt locked so I walked right on in with Layla first to see Ricky and Marco sitting close on the couch; Marco had his head on Ricky's shoulder and though it confused me a bit, I shook it off and announced that we were here before Daryl would see. The boys quickly put space from each other and Ricky turned to look over at me as I walked into the living room. "Hey Rache.. How was the trip?" I raised a brow but answered, "Good. Have you heard from mom and dad?"

"Uh yeah, they'll be here in a couple hours." I nodded and placed Lay in her high chair. Daryl joined us in the kitchen and we all watched cartoons for an hour. Ricky and I started to clean up so the house would look nice for them but Daryl pulled me aside. We walked to the hall way and he scratched at his now scruffy chin, "I uh, Imma head out I think. Merle said something about going to Jess's house, so I think I'm gonna be staying there too.. since everything that happened with my dad, ya know?"

I nodded, I figured he'd do this and it was the only option that made sense. "He lives farther south doesn't he?" Daryl nodded, "Yeah, 'bout a 45 minute drive."

"Okay.. When am I gonna see you? I could help with moving your stuff if-"

"Nah Rache, I'm gonna wait until he's out to go back and grab my things. I don't want ya involved if you don't gotta be." He shifted his feet, "Anyways, if we get all that done this weekend, then I'll see ya Sunday night or just at school on Monday."

"Okay. Just please be careful." He nodded his head nonchalantly, "Walk me to my truck?" I nodded and slipped my hand into his, leading him out of the house.

He looked down at me and he had this look, his eyes really looked into mine, it felt urgent, but I couldn't understand. I wrapped my arms around his neck and his followed. He held me tightly and rested his head on top of mine. When I pulled away he rested his hands firmly on my waist, not wanting to let go. He kept staring with that same look, then leaned down and kissed me fully. He let the kiss linger for a bit before pulling away abruptly, "I'll see ya."

I nodded, "Be safe.. Daryl?" He had already opened his door but he turned his head towards me, "Yeah?"

"I love you." He gave me a weak smile, "I love ya too.."

Daryl

I didn't bother going to school the past couple days. I didn't know what was up, but I couldn't bring myself to give a shit about any of it. And I didn't want to talk to Rachel about it. She'd only worry and try to help, and I was tired of her constantly having to help me. I'd been relaxing with Jess and Merle. I went to work Monday, but called out yesterday and today. Nothing just seemed to matter at the moment. I was just gonna give myself a short break from everything.