~FOREWORD~

"For us it was a shadow war. There were no parades for us when it was over, no medals or mentions in history books. We did what we had to during the war, and when it was over, we picked up the pieces and started our lives over."
― Kristin Hannah, The Nightingale

~••~

Former Canadian WREN, Elsa Lessard, echoes a similar sentiment when asked about her time in service to her country, "Women always supported their countries in the time of war, and they don't get medals." Meeting Elsa and hearing about her time as a signals operator was a wonderful experience and I am grateful for our continued friendship. Elsa inspired our Women in War: The Real-life Agent Carters features on our Facebook and Tumblr pages, which we have collected in this e-book.

"If you don't know your history, you're bound to repeat it. If you can't learn from your history, you're inventing the wheel all the time and that's when the civilization stops."

- Elsa Lessard

Elsa Lessard with brothers, Frank, on the left and younger brother, Ossie, on the right

We wanted to share these stories to remind women that there have always been female heroes who have been willing to suffer loss and to lay their lives on the line to save others. They might not teach about them in the history books, but these women existed. It's up to us to honour their sacrifice, remember their work, and try to be as strong and brave as they were.

So, as a salute to all the many women who fought in World War II, at home, in secret, in the service, we give you this collection of stories of real-life women. Like Agent Peggy Carter, too often their sacrifice and service was not recognized until long after their war was over. We hope that you will find these stories as amazing and enlightening as we did.

We honor all Women in War.

Catherine Grand

-The Renew Agent Carter Team, I Know My Value Team-

http://www.facebook.com/MyValueProject