17. MARION LYONS CLOVER

WWII - Women's Army Corps  (WAC), Ferrying Div. Of Air Transport Command, Master Sergeant

By: Allison Veselka, Assistant at the Barnes County Museum in Valley City, North Dakota

Marion Lyons Clover died in early 2000. So unfortunately I was unable to meet her but the museum recorded an interview they had with her. Marion enlisted in the WACS (Women's Army Corps) in December of 1943.

She took her initial training at Fort Des Moines, Iowa and weapons training in New Hampshire. Afterwards Marion was assigned to the 7th Ferrying Division of the Air Transport Command in Great Falls, Montana. By 1944 she was deemed eligible for overseas duty and she was one of two North Dakota girls sent over in the first contingent of WACS to Casablanca. While stationed in North Africa she did secretarial work, mostly typing and filing. But it wasn't all work. Marion visited Marrakesh and Italy during her time overseas. She was honorably discharged in December of 1946.

But her war record does not end there. She re-enlisted that very same year and was sent to Japan. In 1948 Marion was in the military as women's military organizations, like the WACS and WAVES, were integrated into the army/navy.

So when Marion was in the Korean War, she was no longer part of the Air Corps, she was in the Air Force. In all she served 10 years in military service with a rank of master sergeant. She was a faithful volunteer at the Barnes County Museum, and we are lucky enough to have both her World War II uniform and Korean War uniform, as well as several items she used while in the military.

~•~

RELATED VIDEO

WAC (Women’s Army Corps): "Its Your War Too" (1944)