13. LOIS PICULELL (Brier) [1920- ]

WWII; North Dakota, U.S.

The First Woman to Work at the Valley City Times Record by Allison Veselka, Assistant at the Barnes County Museum in Valley City, North Dakota

by Allison Veselka, Assistant at the Barnes County Museum in Valley City, North Dakota

Lois Piculell attended Valley City High School, graduating in 1938. As a senior she was involved with many things, including working on the high school paper.

In college she continued this tradition so it was no surprise that in 1944 she became the first woman to work at the Valley City Times Record. She worked there for four years as an ad manager, leaving in 1948 to get married.

At the age of 96, Lois is living at the Sheyenne Care Center in Valley City. She is full of spunk with a twinkle in her eye and there's nothing she does better that tell a good story. One of my favorites is about when she first started working at the Times Record office. Of course, being the only woman she was treated poorly.......at least until one incident.

Lois always used the biffy (bathroom) next door, but one day she desperately needed to go. Unfortunately for her the men at the office had the bathroom rigged. They had charged the seat with a model T coil, so that when she sat down she would get a shock.

When Lois walked out, apparently ruffled, she walked up to the prankster, a guy she had known from school, and popped him one so hard that she nearly knocked him into the press. After the incident she was considered one of the guys.

I'm lucky to know Lois. She is so full of life.

RELATED VIDEO

"Beyond the Story: America Women During World War II"