4. LOIS ANDERSON (Rasmussen) [1919-2000]

WWII - U.S. Navy Nurse Corps

 Navy Nurse Corps

Navy Nurse Corps

By: Allison Veselka, Assistantat the Barnes County Museum in Valley City, North Dakota

Lois Anderson (Rasmussen) was originally from Litchville, North Dakota and there she attended high school, but right after graduating she entered Nursing School at St. John's Hospital in Fargo, North Dakota. She graduated in May of 1942.

Seven months later, in November of 1942, Lois enlisted in the Navy Nurse Corps. She served stateside at first serving in Farragut, Idaho where she enlisted and at the Long Beach Naval Hospital in California before heading overseas in 1944. While Stationed in Hawaii she worked at the Aeia Heights Naval Hospital and for which she was awarded the Asiatic-Pacific Theater ribbon.

After serving 18 months in Hawaii, she was assigned to work in Portsmouth, Virginia and was honorably discharged from service in January of 1946 with the rank of Lieutenant. After her time in the service, she continued her nursing career (working at the Valley City Clinic and at her Alma Mater, St. John's Hospital) and was married to another World War II veteran, Sumner Rasmussen in 1947.

Lois Died in October of 2000 so I was not to able meet her but I have been in contact with her daughter Debra Rasmussen in Fargo.

~•~

RELATED VIDEO

"Beyond the Story: American Women During World War II"