Epilogue

Claire

    Prom finally came and Blair and I were getting ready. We had already put on our dresses and we were putting on our makeup, and I grew excited to see how Blair looked. Blair rarely dressed up, so I couldn't wait to see her all dolled up.

    As I applied my pink lipstick to match my pink gown, I thought about what a hectic year I had. I had gone from being popular and excited for my senior year to heartbroken and alone and then to finally happy and content with the new life I had. The past year had been a rollercoaster ride and in the end, it had been worth it.

    Smacking my lips together, I turned around and stared at Blair. She turned around then and looked at me, leaving my eyes flying wide at the sight of her. Blair was stunning. In her light blue gown that matched her eyes and beautiful curled hair, Blair was beautiful. I felt proud at the sight of her.

    "Wow, you look beautiful Blair," I said, smiling. "I can't believe I have the hottest date."

    "Thanks." Blair laughed. "You look beautiful too, Claire. Pink is your colour."

    I smiled at her words, touched. Blair was honest and that made me feel happy about my appearance.

    "Well, shall we get going?" I asked, walking to Blair.

    "Yes, we shall," Blair said, smiling.

    I hooked my arm around Blair's and thought about how lovely it was to see my sister smiling so genuinely. Not only did I change, but she did too. And from the looks of it, it was for the better. I couldn't help but feel really happy about that.

    Together Blair and I walked out of my bedroom and downstairs. Our parents were waiting in the living room and when they saw us, they gasped. Mom covered her mouth with her hands and Dad was grinning from ear-to-ear, looking proud of his daughters. I smiled, touched by their reaction.

    "Oh my god, you look beautiful," Mom said, rushing up to us. "The both of you look stunning."

    Blair seemed surprised by Mom's words because usually, Mom never paid any attention to her. I stared at Blair, watching as she blushed, and smiled. Looking at Mom, I hoped she'd realize that Blair was just as important as me in our family. She didn't deserve to be neglected.

    Mom suddenly hugged the both of us and Dad soon joined us. I felt warm in their embrace and looking at Blair, I watched as she smiled. Her eyes began to tear up and my heart ached, knowing she wasn't used to this. I made a note to make sure to change our parents relationships with Blair. I was going to make sure Blair was at her happiest.

    Our parents let go of us and told us to have fun. They left to go upstairs and Blair and I walked to the door to put our heels on. As soon as I put on my heels, the doorbell suddenly rang.

    I looked at Blair and frowned, wondering who would come to our house. Blair shrugged, seeming equally as confused, and I went over to the door to open it. My eyes flew wide when I saw Ryder standing there, looking amazing in his black suit.

    "Hey, Ryder," I said, surprised. "What are you doing here? Why didn't you tell me you were coming over?"

    "Look, Claire," Ryder said, his cheeks turning pink. "I've been thinking about mine and Blair's words, and I realized I was about to ruin the best opportunity I had to... To say something. So I came to your house immediately because I finally need to start acting instead of waiting on the sidelines."

    I stared at Ryder, wondering what he was talking about. He was talking so fast and he seemed nervous, but it was admittedly cute. My eyes softened at that.

    "Claire, I've been in love with you ever since freshmen year," Ryder confessed, surprising me. "You're everything I ever wanted in a girl and I should have said this earlier, but will you go to prom with me? Will you give me a chance because I can't take another day not knowing if me and you could be something more than just friends."

    Stunned, I stared at Ryder, speechless. I never thought he felt that way about me and his words left me unable to speak. But to my surprise, my heart felt warm at his words. I felt happy and blushing, I realized that maybe I had always wanted this deep down. Maybe if I hadn't been so blinded by Carter, I would have realized what was right in front of me.

    But looking back at Blair, I remembered something. Something, I would never give up.

    "Ryder, you're the sweetest guy I have ever met. I'm really happy you feel this way about me and I would love to be your date, but Blair is already my date," I said, eyes softening. "Sorry, but tonight is a night to spend with my sister."

    "That's fine," Ryder said, smiling. "But this won't be the last time I ask you out. I'll make sure of that."

    I smiled. "I look forward to that then."

   "Wait, Claire you don't need to reject Ryder for me," Blair said. "Seriously, I'm fine."

    "I'm not doing it for you," I said honestly. "I'm doing this for me. I want to spend prom with you and no one else."

    Blair's eyes softened and she soon smiled. I smiled back and together, the three of us went to prom. I found myself growing excited for the best night of my life.

*****

I was holding Ryder's hand and we were dancing to the upbeat music. Ryder was grinning, looking the happiest I'd seen him, and I knew I reflected his expression. I genuinely felt happy as I danced with my best friend and possible future lover, and had my sister standing at my side, smiling at the sight of us.

Glancing at Blair and noticing the way she swayed to the music but wouldn't dance, I let go of Ryder's hand and grabbed Blair's. She seemed surprised by that and I began to dance, forcing her to move with me. Her cheeks reddened and I laughed.

"Come one Blair, we're at prom!" I exclaimed. "Let loose!"

To my utter surprise, Blair did. She began to dance, jumping around and I jumped with her, holding her hands tightly to make sure I wouldn't lose her. Never again would I lose Blair and I was going to make sure of that.

Blair and I laughed as we danced and Ryder chuckled at our side. We soon tired and we stopped dancing, and for a moment, we stared at each other, panting. A grin soon appeared on my face as I felt so happy that I could burst.

"I'm having a blast," I said, eyes softening. "This is one of the best days of my life."

"Mine too," Blair said, catching me off guard.

I found my heart growing warm at her words. It made me so happy that Blair felt the same way as me. It was so nice to hear that I also made her happy.

Staring at Blair, I thought of how much we'd been through. How far we'd grown apart and then how close we'd gotten again. It was a crazy ride and I was glad with the outcome we got. I was glad that we had talked everything through and learned to understand each other, and I was glad that my twin sister and I were close again. Because honestly, I couldn't imagine a life without her.

"Blair, I really love you," I suddenly said. "Please promise me we'll never grow apart again."

"I promise," Blair immediately said, her eyes soft. "I love you too Claire and I will make sure that never happens again."

I smiled for the millionth time that day and threw my arms around my sister. Hugging her tightly, I found myself feeling at my happiest. I found myself excited for my life with my sister at my side. Because family was sometimes all you needed to be happy. Nothing else mattered when you had the people you loved at your side, giving you a happiness no one else could give you.

The End