o n e

given the chance, harry would spend his days locked in his bedroom that was bigger than delilah's apartment. he would use his time writing music, painting, or memorizing poems for the hell of it. he was strange, really. he never got into trouble, and his parents appreciated that, but he would still make stupid mistakes in their eyes such as leave university to spend their money "looking for a new adventure down the road" he would tell them. he was their only child, not including percy, the pampered chow chow.

delilah spent her days working in a shabby cafe to save up enough money to go to university. she never did. where there was delilah, there were books. lenny, owner of the shabby cafe, loved delilah like she was his own. he loved the little facts she threw out into the air and the way she immersed herself with knowledge. he was quite proud of her, and knew she was a genius trapped in an unfortunate situation. she was the only person who appreciated a good book under the christmas tree or wrapped in party hat wrapping paper for a birthday. he appreciated her dedication to bettering her mind, but wished she would get out more.

delilah and harry were never really meant to meet, but they did. and it caused a whirlwind of emotions and unspoken feelings.

it all began on an afternoon at the end of february. the exact date has been debated for quite some time now. harry was running low on inspiration, and delilah had just gotten off work.

delilah climbed into her car that was nearly as old as her and barely running. it was five o'clock, and it was a day at the end of february.

harry had gathered his sketchbook, paints, camera, and pencils in the backseat of his car that was recently purchased. he went on a search for inspiration on an afternoon at the end of february.

delilah parked on the side of the road with the open land stretched out in front of her. she had on more layers than she could count as the end of february day made its way to the darkness. she grabbed her book on art techniques even though she couldn't draw a stick figure or paint a simple sun, which was really quite fitting for the day she ended up meeting the boy who loved art.

she made her way down the small hill into the meadow which had not yet found its color considering the time of year on a day at the end of february, but delilah appreciated that the natural ways of nature were working and functioning properly. she appreciated the sleeping flowers and shrubs and whispered, "get all the sleep you need," as she took a seat against a tree and opened her book.

even though it was uncomfortably cold, delilah's mind was warm as it filled with knowledge she would never use, and her heart felt the warmth of satisfaction as she picked up more facts from the book she never needed.

harry parked on the side of the road, and gathered his materials to capture the inspiration that was bound to come to him. he had never found himself in that area before, but needed the adventure, and when he saw the sleeping meadow the inspiration was supposed to pour out. when he walked down a small hill with his arms full with different possibilities, he looked at the sky and the buds that were too tired to bloom. then he looked straight ahead and saw a small figure bundled up in layers of clothing being suffocated with a book. because where there was delilah, there was a book, and she proved that statement right every time.

he walked closer, but delilah didn't even look up because she was so lost in knowledge that she would never use and looking up would be an inconvenience. so she suffocated herself with the book further, not realizing a whirlwind was walking closer in curiosity.

it was when teeth chattered loudly, and a nose began running from the uncomfortable cold that eyes met, but it was more of a glance, really. because within the blink of an eye, literally, delilah had her nose buried in the book soaking up all of the useless knowledge.

perhaps if harry had worn appropriate clothing for the evening and avoided teeth chattering and nose running, delilah would have never been aware of his presence and their eye blink wouldn't have happened that way. but it did, because it was a day at the end of february and harry made stupid mistakes, but it was okay because he was never in trouble.

but he was in trouble when he craved adventure and went to look for inspiration at the meadow. that blink of an eye was trouble, he just didn't know it yet.