n i n e

the first time one of the two did not show up at the meadow like they usually did, there was a feeling of worry instead of irritation. because it was so usual for the two of them to meet there, or for harry to surprise delilah at the cafe before her shift ended; someone not showing up was almost like being stood up.

delilah didn't show up. delilah had left harry hanging that warm day as he sat waiting for her to appear when she never did. so when he called her phone hoping she would pick up, relief washed over him when her soft, sweet voice danced through the phone and into his head.

"hey, you didn't come today so i was just calling to see if you're alright," harry said.

"yeah, i'm so sorry i didn't let you know. i didn't feel too good when i woke up, so i just stayed in bed all day. i'm sorry," she explained. it was after delilah said this, that harry registered the sniffles and slightly stuffed nose on the other end as she spoke.

"don't apologize, love. do you need anything? i can drop off some soup or tea or something if you need me to," harry offered without even thinking twice about it.

"i-uh..no i think i have some stuff here, but thank you so much for the offer, harry. it means a lot," delilah assured.

delilah was quick to turn down the offer despite wanting to see harry and apologize in person for not showing up. but she lied.

delilah did not have soup, or medicine, or tea at her apartment. she told harry she had those items so that way he wouldn't feel obligated to show up at her home and see where she lives.

she was embarrassed of living in a not so nice neighborhood in not the best apartment, and even though she had turned the inside into something so warm and comfortable—thanks to those books on interior design she thought she would never use—she was embarrassed.

harry was saved the drive, and took the time to catch up with a friend. niall and harry had always ran in similar circles and always found each other at those boring adult parties their parents dragged them to as children. niall and harry were good friends, they just got distracted with their own lives for a bit.

"harry, it's been a good while, man. how have you been?" niall and harry embraced each other's bodies and took a seat at the small restaurant for lunch. niall's hair had gone darker and he seemed happier.

"i've been really good, yeah just been doing a lot drawing if i'm being honest. what about you? you seem like you're glowing or something," harry added.

a server approached the table and took down their drink orders before returning with them shortly. they ordered their food and were left alone once again.

"i'm amazing. i actually have some news," niall was beaming at this point. he was radiating a form of happiness that harry didn't think was possible. "erica and i are getting married!"

harry sure didn't see that coming.

he choked on his drink before clearing his throat and standing to embrace his good friend once more because he was engaged and beaming happiness like harry had never seen before.

"that is amazing, mate. i'm so happy for you two. congratulations, ni," harry smiled while his friend thanked him.

"now, i know you want to start traveling soon, like within the next year, but i was wondering if you would like to be one of the groomsmen," niall proposed an offer that harry felt so honored to have received. "erica wants a november wedding, so that's in seven months. i hope you won't be hopping all over the globe by then," he chuckled.

"of course i'll be there for your big day, and of course i'll be a groomsman! i'd be honored."

their food arrived and after a few bites, niall began to pry into harry's life a bit more. "any lucky ladies catching your attention these days, haz?"

delilah.

her glowing skin and curly hair flashed through harry's mind at the question. her beautiful eyes that shined brighter than the sun that warms the meadow throughout the day and the stars that decorate the dark to keep the flowers company. harry thought of delilah and smiled. he was now the one beaming, and he looked like a grinning fool.

"there's one girl that i've been hanging out with lately," harry said. niall became more interested and sported a supportive grin as he waited for harry to elaborate. "she's amazing. she's so incredibly smart, and beautiful, and kind. she was so quiet when we first met, but i find myself memorizing features of her and recreating them onto papers, but they never capture her like i want."

"does she know you draw her?" niall asks curiously, aware of his friend's dedication to his art.

"yeah, and i thought she was going to freak out and think i was some creep. she reacted the exact opposite. she was so interested in what she was seeing and focused on each drawing so intensely, it was almost intimidating. she had a peek inside my mind when she looked at the sketches, but she still doesn't let me that close. i mean, i know we're getting there, but she has such an advantage on me right now i feel like i'm playing catch up."

"it sounds like you really like her so far. i really hope it works out for you," niall said.

harry hoped it worked out too, but later that night when he replayed what niall had said about knowing he wanted to travel, he wondered if he really did want that. because at the time harry hadn't thought about doing so in months.

delilah was clouding harry's thoughts more than usual, but neither of them knew it yet.