t w e n t y f o u r

"how are you doing today, delilah?" josiah asked as delilah poured his coffee. he was persistent, and delilah never told him to stop she just assumed he'd get it.

"i'm doing very well, thank you. and yourself?" she asked.

"oh i'm great, thanks. what book did you bring with you today?" he wondered.

"just something about the universe," she gave a small smile and walked off.

he found her beyond intriguing. she didn't read typical, predictable romance novels. instead, she read how-to books, or books about medicine, or the history of pastries. they would be books that normal people would glance at and not give a second look, but delilah was not normal.

he wanted to learn more about her and her habits. but he drank coffee, and delilah drank tea. and opposites attract, but they don't always prevail.

"delilah, who's that young man?" lenny whispered from the window in the kitchen. "he's always here."

"his name's josiah." delilah stood at the register and took a customer's order while mila walked around cleaning tables and checking with customers.

lenny knew josiah was probably trying to capture the heart of delilah, but he didn't trust him. he looked like trouble in disguise and didn't want delilah to end up hurt. he also didn't want a repeat of harry. lenny was worried for delilah, but also knew that she needed to move on without any input from lenny. he was getting old, he couldn't stress himself out over delilah's life. she was grown, and he couldn't protect her from potentially getting hurt.

on her break, delilah found and empty table in the corner and focused on her book. the smell of the crinkled paper and coffee in the air calmed her more than anything. she felt at ease, until the chair across from her was being pulled out and josiah's body occupied it.

she stared at him with a blank expression as she waited for him to explain his presence. lauryn watched from across the room and was surprised by his confidence.

"i was wondering if you would like to go out with me. saturday at 7?" josiah proposed.

delilah shouldn't have been taken aback, but she was. mila's gasp was heard in the distance while lenny peeked at the situation with squinted eyes and a suspicious stare.

"i—uh..sure," delilah muttered.

i think you should go for it, she replayed harry's words in her head.

it had been months since delilah had been on a date, and she figured she should get it over with.

maybe he'll realize i'm not what he wants, she thought.

"great," josiah's stunning smile beamed. "could i get your number to get your address, so i can pick you up?"

delilah typed the digits into his phone and gave a tight-lipped smile.

"i'll see you tomorrow, delilah," he smiled and left the cafe leaving delilah to her small, informational text.

"what are you going to wear? how are you going to do your hair? where is taking you?" mila excitedly rushed over.

delilah just wanted to read her book.

+

when josiah picked her up, she left mila in her apartment after she insisted on helping her find something to wear.

dinner.

it was so simple, and boring, delilah didn't know how it would go. but when she realized he was easy to talk to, and kept the conversation going without it getting awkward, delilah found herself enjoying the night.

he made her laugh, and knew what to say and how to say it. delilah liked him, and was glad she went out.

weeks passed of dates, and the dates were never dull. then he asked her to be his girlfriend, and when she said yes they both felt warm. he was no longer trying to reel her in at the cafe and instead only showed up every few days to say hi.

harry slipped her mind until he would call, and josiah questioned it a few times, but delilah assured him he was a friend on the other side of the world. she missed him, but she didn't feel the void she used to.

when josiah read one of the letters sent by harry, he became upset. they fought and he stormed out with a heated mind and jealous heart. delilah sighed loudly and saw the letter that he picked up. it was one of the earlier ones when harry declares his love for delilah poetically and loudly. she understood why josiah would be upset. she had kept all of the letters like they meant something. and they did mean something, so she gathered them all together and hid them in an old shoebox josiah would never think to look in.

delilah called josiah hours later to give him time and apologized. he too apologized for overreacting and then showed up on her doorstep to spend the night and hold her close.

delilah told her first and only lie in that relationship when she said that she tossed the letters out, and she felt guilty. although she didn't feel guilty for lying to josiah's face. she felt guilty for relinquishing the idea of tossing harry's heartwarming, soulful letters and postcards away like nothing.

they were friends that couldn't let go when delilah knew she should have.