t h i r t y f i v e

"harry, they won't like me!" delilah was nervously fidgeting in the passenger seat of the parked car. he stood at the opened door, attempting to beckon her out of the vehicle to the place he used to call home.

"you're absolutely right, they won't like you," harry sighed. although it was not a time to mess with delilah, he couldn't help himself. he saw the look of overwhelming fear in her eyes and instantly felt bad. he grabbed her hands and placed soft kisses to her knuckles and wrists. "they're going to love you."

after about five more minutes of delilah closing her eyes to calm herself down, they stood at the front door of the luxurious house she hadn't seen in years. mr. and mrs. styles would finally meet the young woman who occupied their son's attention and clouded his mind at every moment he was away from her. harry was excited, glad that his relationship with both delilah and his parents were stronger than ever.

"can i ring the bell?" harry asked holding his finger out to push the button. she hesitantly nodded and felt the anxious jitters return.

his parents were so excited to meet the special woman in their son's life, and when the door swung open and his mother embraced delilah in a warm hug, she relaxed. "it's so nice to finally meet you! i'm emily!"

"it's lovely to meet you, i'm delilah." harry was smiling brightly next to the two. he could see the nervousness in delilah was gone as they walked into the house.

alexander styles had an intimidating demeanor, but his kindness became quite clear as he spoke to delilah.

percy came trotting toward delilah in no time. he waited for her to kneel and give him head scratches and hair ruffles.

dinner was delicious and conversation flowed smoothly throughout the entirety of it all. emily and alexander fell in love with delilah and found themselves very impressed with the young woman to own and operate an establishment at her age.

it was later in the evening, after dessert, when emily pulled out the photo albums. harry sat embarrassed next to delilah as his mother flaunted all of the baby pictures and laughed at some of them as well.

delilah learned about harry when he was a child and could not stop smiling at the stories emily told. such as his odd phase where he would not wear the color green nor eat anything of the same color.

there was so much laughter, and happiness floating through the air that evening, what a shame it had to end. harry and delilah bid their goodbyes and made their way home. they happened to drive by the meadow where that sign resided and taunted them with their loss.

"i love you," harry hummed into her neck while they laid in bed, the vibrations of his voice ticking her.

"i love you too," she kissed his forehead as he stared up at her from his place on her chest. her fingers played with his hair which was getting quite long. harry fell asleep in that position; his head resting over her heart.

she laid awake for longer, with a void mind and fulfilled soul.

+

delilah was going around to tables and making sure customers had filled mugs and satisfied bellies. the beautiful spring afternoon was displayed from the many windows the cafe wore. it could have been a good day, a great one. it should have been.

an hour before closing time, delilah sat in the office and placed orders of items needed when she heard mila's voice at a louder tone than usual. she stood up and made her way out only to wish she hadn't showed up at all that day.

it was a week and a half before leo's birthday, and there stood josiah with a clenched jaw and frustration on his face as mila spoke with anger in her hand animations and voice. he noticed delilah standing there out his peripherals, and his eyes softened.