Family Ties & Storytelling

3

Alistair had helped James pen letters to their more distant friends through the morning so that they could be sent as soon as was possible. James wanted to have the house party last more than a week, but not go over Christmas so as not to intrude upon other private family gatherings for the season that his guests would have. While James had elected to ride back to London to personally invite the rest of their entourage, Alistair had preferred to stay behind.

"Looking to catch more glimpses of the lovely Miss Woodburn?" James teased him.

Alistair did not look up from his last letter, making sure that his signature had not been smudged. He placed the ink pot on the corner of the parchment to let it dry.

"There are some persons I would rather not want to meet again in town," replied Alistair, leaning back and lacing his fingers together over his stomach. "I promise you, I will grow no more bored without your company than within it so much that I should deliberately seek out Miss Woodburn. I'm sure she and her family must have their own engagements for today."

"Very true," commented James. "But do you not find her older sister more appealing? She surely is a beauty, although I know you to be fonder of brunettes."

"As I know you to have a preference for fairer features. But yes, she is lovely, albeit severe. Are you already taken with her?" Now Alistair had turned the tables on his friend.

James smiled almost stupidly. "Only time will tell. Well, I'll be leaving soon so that I might reach London within the coming two days. I've already left instruction for the household to prepare all the rooms available. Do find entertainment while I am away."

Alistair scoffed. "There is plenty. Just being in the country is enough."

"Whatever you say, old friend," James laughed, waltzing out of the parlour. Now Alistair was left to his own devices. He had to say, that the thought of seeking out Miss Woodburn once more was tempting. But what reason did he have to see her? Purely for the sake of it? It would be indecent of him to come calling on her when they had no attachment or relation between them.

It was almost amusing how he felt himself wanting of a woman, when in London, it was surely the other way around, and he had come to the country to find respite from that. But here he was, finding himself pining after a baronet's daughter when he could have had any other woman of a higher station.

***

"What colours do you think suit me? My hair isn't as dark as yours, Ann, but neither is it as fair as Eliza's." Charlotte sighed, resting her head on Annalise's shoulders.

The two sisters walked arm in arm down the lane towards the local haberdasher's. Lunch with the Blakes yesterday had been splendid and Charlotte had been ecstatic, waking Annalise at an ungodly hour of the morning, begging her to go shopping for new ribbons and other accoutrements for the party. Though the girl would not admit it, she was surely looking to catch the fancies of the boy who had already stolen her heart.

"I'm sure you will look stunning in anything, Lottie." Annalise covered her mouth with her hand in an attempt at stifling a yawn. When she opened her eyes again, she was met the acute gaze of her sister. "But of course, I think yellow make your eyes stand out," she conceded, rolling her eyes.

Charlotte smiled in satisfaction. "I think you are right. I also think you would look ravishing in red."

"I do prefer blue," Annalise teased.

Hooves pounded behind them, and they hadn't bothered to look up until a familiar voice addressed them. "How lovely it is to see you out again, Miss Woodburn, and with Miss Charlotte."