Prospects and Perspectives

4

"Oh, the Settlers have finally arrived."

Mrs Woodburn read over the note once more, a delicate smile to her lips. Charlotte wriggled in her seat.

"Oh, I can't wait to meet Sophie today," she squealed.

Mrs Woodburn looked over to her. "I'm sorry to say, dear, but the journey from Maidstone has quite worn them out," she explained, referring to the letter. Charlotte deflated, but her mother sought to reassure her; "However, they plan to invite us ladies to tea tomorrow. We might talk over some things to do together then."

"I should love that," Charlotte quipped, her lips lifting some. "It's a pity, though. I should have so liked to see her."

"Father and I should plan something to do with the gentlemen, then?" Hamish buttered his toast, looking to Mrs Woodburn for an answer.

"It would be a nice thing to do, to welcome everyone in," she replied. "Oh, and Charlotte; Ms Wiggans has written to say that she is well again, and she will be coming over to see your progress."

Charlotte slumped into her seat with a groan while Annalise couldn't help but laugh from behind the rim of her teacup. Her sister was very animated this morning.

Ignoring her, Mrs Woodburn continued, "Do you girls have anything planned today?"

"I was going to go to the church today, to help the vicar's daughter arrange the flowers," said Annalise.

"Have fun," Hamish commented, and Annalise sneered playfully at him.

"That's very kind of you," her mother chirped. "Did you know that their maid is getting married soon? To the blacksmith's son, I think. His wife was just telling me the other day, when we met at the funeral, about the small cottage he plans to buy. Apparently, he'd been quite devoted to the girl for a while, and was saving the money he made from the smithy."

"Really?" Charlotte suddenly sprang up from her chair. Mrs Woodburn nodded. "I didn't know that. That's rather lovely for the two of them. And Tom is such a handsome young man."

"Indeed, he is."

The two continued to exchange information about the townspeople. Annalise wasn't very interested in village gossip, but her mother was a sponge, and her younger sister seemed to share that trait. Still, she did find it nice that two people were finally coming together for love.

"It sounds quite romantic, the lot of it."

Hamish and Mr Woodburn stood first, and Annalise finished her tea before she followed suit. "I'm off to the vicarage now."

Charlotte stood with her. "Can I come with you?"

"I don't see why not," Annalise responded.

"Don't forget your bonnets, you two," Mrs Woodburn reminded them. "Especially you, Ann." She sent the girl a knowing wink, and Annalise rolled her eyes.

Curious, Charlotte asked her sister, once they were out of the breakfast room, "Why you especially?"

"Mama is just teasing," Annalise answered, nonchalant. Charlotte hummed, and Annalise hoped she would leave it at that.

The two sisters were on their way to the vicarage, talking of things of non-importance along the way. It was a bit of a walk – two miles – but Annalise couldn't complain. She enjoyed the exercise.

"I really cannot wait to see Sophie," Charlotte sighed. "It's been too long."

Annalise agreed. "True. But they were just here two years ago."