The Heart at the Head

"I found that to be a most entertaining afternoon," Catherine began once they had all returned to Belgrave Hall.

"It was," Lucille agreed.

"The bakery did have some quite delicious treats," said Maude. "I was tempted to go back and buy something for later."

Catherine laughed at her cousin. "You'll spoil your teeth one day."

"Until that happens, I shall have all the cake I want."

"It's a pity, though, that those lovely sisters have not had any suitors," Lucille mused, more to herself, but Maude and Catherine had heard. "Especially that Miss Elizabeth. And what could she mean, 'I'm staring middle age in the face'? To me, she couldn't have looked any more youthful, with her soft skin and fashionable dress."

"Perhaps they've been in the country for too long," Catherine suggested. "They did say the estate was just making it by. It would be nice if all of them could come to town."

Maude hummed. "Perhaps Aunt Olivia can have them? I know it's asking a lot, but we could try."

"You're right, cousin," Catherine agreed. "Three extra ladies in the house will be quite the crush, but I shall ask Mama."

The three of them decided that they would wait until dinner to have something to eat, and so, Maude went off to find her brother, Catherine disappeared somewhere else in the house, and Lucille went up to her room to rest.

***

The Woodburn sisters arrived home refreshed but with some food for thought. They both had decisions to make, and ones that would surely change their lives.

Annalise thought back to Edmund's proposal – as well she should – and tried to make a decision there and then.

Edmund was the second son of the vicar, and though he would not inherit, he planned to make a living for himself by going into horse breeding. It had its merits and could definitely make him a heavy purse. He was well-born, had a solid reputation, and Annalise knew him from her early girlhood years.

But there was one hurdle she could not seem to overcome, and it was the almost familial bond she had for him. In her mind, marrying him would be akin to marrying Hamish. Not only would that not sit well with her, but she deeply doubted that she would be happy with the arrangement.

She thought back to the picnic yesterday and how she had talked and laughed with Mr Hume so easily. She recalled how she had even had thoughts of marrying him as well. He was also a gentleman of good birth, with a considerable consequence to his name, being the baronet of a large and wealthy estate. But though Annalise knew him to be a kind and amiable man, his honour was questionable, and then there was his reputation.

She wondered, what would her mother think of him if she knew what Elizabeth had told her about him. Would she, then, still be open to the idea of her daughter being wed to a man who took mistresses? There was only one way to find out, and that would be to ask Mrs Woodburn herself.

Annalise found her mother and Charlotte taking tea in the drawing room and greeted them.

"How was your day, my dear," asked Mrs Woodburn.

Annalise sat next to her sister. "It was very enjoyable. Miss Walker said she will be leaving by Friday, to visit her beau's family. The other two might stay until the party ends."

"That's good to hear. Would you like some tea?"

Annalise shook her head. "No, thank you. We had something before we got back." She gave pause.