Beginning Again

14

Alistair had come to not only invite the Woodburns over but to personally escort them to his estate. He remained with them in Stone Cross whilst they packed their luggage and he rested from the long journey. Then they set out northward a few days later, through the snow and cold and biting wind. It was the longest journey any of them had taken, but it was well worth it by the last day of their trip, when the long drive of Clyde Park greeted them in.

Looking out the window, the hedges on each side of them looked like powdery walls rising up from the ground. The wrought iron gates were pulled open by the grooms, and they beheld the magnificent sight of Clyde Park.

It was as Alistair had told Annalise all those moons ago; an impressive, three level structure of grey stone and white shutters that melded in with the monochrome backdrop. The coach went around a fountain of an alabaster angel holding a pitcher that would have poured out a never-ending stream of water had it been warmer; it was the centrepiece of the drive. Annalise had never seen such a magnificent place. And to think, she would one day preside over it all; she smiled to herself proudly.

The steps were let down and Mrs Woodburn and her daughters alighted first, stepping into the snow.

"This, is my estranged home," Alistair welcomed them. "But I've recently moved back and I think I will be staying here more often." He led them the short way to the front door which was already held open for them by the butler; a greyed man with dripping jowls and a cool countenance.

"Welcome back, Mr Hume," greeted the butler, inclining his head. He was a man in his later years, and stood slightly stooped. He did, however, have a welcoming air which was made more apparent by his softened features.

Alistair nodded in acknowledgement, shrugging off his coat as the man took it. The footmen moved to assist the others. "Thank you, Farns. These are my guests, the Woodburns."

"Welcome to Clyde Park." He turned to the family and bowed. "It is a pleasure to have you all here."

"We are glad to be here," Mr Woodburn answered absently for his wife, as she was too busy gawking about the room, with its columns and painted ceilings, crystal chandelier and papered walls, marble floors and rich carpets.

"Is my sister about?"

"Miss Hume has been in the sitting room for most of the day."

"Good. Have some coffee sent in, would you?"

"Very good, Mr Hume."

Farns went about to do as he was told, the footmen leaving with him save for one who walked ahead of Alistair and his company as they travelled to the sitting room. The manor looked much larger on the inside that it did on the outside, and it was because of the lofty ceilings and sparse furniture. Their footsteps echoed hollowly on the stone floors. The footman opened the door for them, and they entered into a room of duck egg blue and comfy furnishings. Maude was seated near the window, using the pale light that streamed in through the glass to read, but looked up once they entered.

"Oh, Alistair." She stood, placing her book on the chair. "You're much earlier than I expected."

"It would do us no good to delay in the snow," he replied, pecking his sister on the cheek. "Coffee is on its way."

"Well I'm glad that everyone made it over safely." She them addressed the family and invited them to sit. "It's lovely to see you all again."

"It's good to see you, too," Mrs Woodburn replied. "Did you enjoy your time in Stone Cross?"

"I did," answered Maude. "Your daughters are much fun to be around... especially Charlotte... Has she sent word as yet?"

Mrs Woodburn was able to smile at that. "She has, almost a week now since, but at least we know she is safe."