Rocky and Rigid Resolutions

Author's Note: I'm posting this chapter a day early because tomorrow will be a very hectic day for me, so I might forget to post. So, please enjoy!

And a special thank you to @steljoe for being such a dedicated reader.

5

James looked out of the windows of the sitting room overlooking the gardens, and watched his friend Alistair walking leisurely with his sister.

"Those two were quite icy with each other when we first arrived, and now they're the paragon of sibling tenderness," said Lucille at his shoulder.

James grinned at her words. "If only you knew what they had to go through to finally get to that point." He turned around in his chair to stare at his sister. "Why are you here, by the way?"

"I came to ask if you had anything planned for today," she said. "Do you?"

"I do," replied James. Lucille put her hands on her hips, awaiting his response. "We're going racing today."

"You certainly do mean you and your gentlemen friends, of course? Because I haven't brought a riding habit, nor a horse fit for racing."

James snorted. "Yes I mean the lads and me."

"So what, pray tell, are us ladies supposed to occupy our time with while you go out gallivanting with your friends?" Lucille asked with a dry tone. Her brother could be such a run-around sometimes.

James snickered. "You never change, do you?"

"Neither do you."

He turned around to face his desk and the window once more to see that Alistair and Maude were returning.

"I've sent a note to the Woodburns asking the ladies to join you and our female guests for tea. And I asked if their brother would like to come riding with us as well."

"Very good," Lucille lauded, nodding approvingly at her brother. "You really have grown up."

James clucked his tongue, feigning annoyance, but he couldn't help the grin coming on. "Get out, you daft woman."

"No need for such a tone. I'll leave you to it, then, brother."

Just as she turned towards the door, it opened and the butler let himself in. "A note has arrived for you, Sir," he said, bringing the envelope over on a platter with a letter knife.

James took it and the knife. "Thank you." He slipped the dull silver blade under the flap and pulled out the small paper. "That was quick. It's from Mrs Woodburn."

"What does it say?" Lucille walked over to a sofa and took a seat.

James quickly read over words. "She says... they've already been invited to a picnic this afternoon, and has extended an invitation to us to join, seeing as we are guests in the area... Also, Hamish, the son, will not be able to join our riding party. Drat it. I was looking forward to him coming."

"Oh, that's a relief," Lucille sighed. "I thought we would be holed up in this house for another day."

"It's not my fault you can't think of anything fun to do," James teased.

Lucille rolled her eyes. "Anyway, I better let the others know."

"Before you go; she also mentioned that they will be over to escort you to the picnic. So, at around half two, expect visitors. The boys and I will be out before then. I need to plan out a route for the race."