Then There's Crissy And Her Birthday

Excerpt:

Thank you, Ted," his upturned face was radiant from an expression that signaled pure affection.

"No problem, sir. If there is anything else, please let me know." The waiter gave me a good sideways view and I couldn't help but check out his behind. I mean, it was a slight injustice to me because I didn't have that much. The dude was fully loaded and it was unfair.

"I'd throw my pie for you, Ted," Chad licked his lips.

His expression suddenly changed when Regina obviously kicked him under the table.

"That is...noted," Ted smiled back, wringing his hands. "Do enjoy your meal."

Whilst I watched him go, Chad glared at his mother as she unrolled the cutlery from her red napkin. "How many times have I told you not to kick me with your killer heels?" he hissed. "Those things are like weapons. Geez!"

xxx

That evening when we finally got home, mom kept sending me these weird looks. She kept asking if I'm alright and what did I do, mostly because of the earlier occurrence between Regina and myself at the Diner. After we had basically been gazing at each other intently, of course we'd give out a vibe. But it was safe to say that everything had returned to normal in the department of love and understanding.

Well, except for the fact that dad seemed to be aiming for a younger kind of feeling in that department, in relation to mom.

The second they both stepped into the house, she practically giggled like a twelve year old and they began to chase each other around the living room. Right in front of me. I stood there gawking at their childish behavior and felt Regina shake from laughing next to me. She was thoroughly enjoying all the immature antics. But how the hell was I supposed to cope with two people who obviously had no time and place for their display of playfulness?

It was already dark outside, a little after six thirty and I sat snugly upon the green, fuzzy carpet, feet folded under me. Based on my opinion, sitting on the floor was the most comfortable feeling of all. Even lying upon the carpet, I'd find that falling asleep would be achieved faster than on a bed. But that was just my opinion. That was my view and I was thrilled to find that Regina copied my move, neatly folding her legs and cozying up next to me.

"Okay, so you go first," mom beamed, pulling out a box, wrapped in red shiny gift paper from under the tree and holding it out in dad's direction. Sucking on a slice of Kit Kat, she proceeded to adjust her position upon the two cushioned green chair.

My father took the gift and held it up, this way and that, trying to dramatically wonder what was inside. To my surprise, within the cardboard box was a pair of real classy looking headphones, blue and fantastically designed to make him appear like a really cool dude. If it was one thing about my father, it was his constant enthusiasm in anything pertaining to electronics. The digital age. And as soon as he plugged the damn thing into his fancy Samsung Galaxy S3 mini, of course the unfolding scene around him was muted.

His voice raised an octave or two in the process.

I had gotten him a fancy brown watch that his eyes shone from beholding. It was an investment and to be honest, dad never was the flashy type to ask for gifts and stuff, so it had been decided by me to save up and buy him something classy. Plus Regina pitched in (she didn't have to, but insisted). And he adored the thing, sniffing it all the time with this look in his eyes that signaled a deep satisfaction or something. Even mom couldn't touch his gifts.