three // the hogwarts express

*

*

Wendy woke up abruptly to the sounds of something screeching. She panted as she tried to realise if everything that had happened to her was a dream. She looked around, noticing the room was not her own. As her eyes fell on the owl in the cage across the room, Wendy knew that it wasn't all a nightmare, and that it was reality.

She rubbed her eyes as she yawned; all night she had woken up multiple times to the haunting images of her parents dead on the floor of her home. Wendy leaned over to the bedside table where her pair of glasses were that she rarely wore. She walked over to her owl's cage, opening it, and ducking as it shot out of the cage and flew around the room.

She quickly ran over to her trunk where she had put the bird food in, completely forgetting to feed her owl. She felt guilty as she held out her hand to the owl and watched it nibble at the food, she was too busy absorbed in her own problems to remember to feed a living thing. But of course, how could she blame herself, after the trauma she had so recently faced?

The owl finished eating and flew around the room, sitting atop objects and staring down at her every few seconds. Wendy changed out of her old school uniform that she had worn for at least 24 hours now and changed into the uniform for her new school, Hogwarts. She cringed as she stared at the robe she was about to put on, chucking it back in her trunk and deciding to just wear the sweater and skirt instead. Wendy whistled for her owl, making it fly into the cage. She hauled her trunk and the cage out if the room, trying to find a way to get to Kings Cross Station.

Wendy made her way down the steps and into the bar section of the building. Around an elongated table was a family of four, all with flaming red hair, talking to the boy with round glasses and the girl with bushy hair she saw yesterday. The six people looked up at her as her trunk thudded against each step she dragged it down. With every thud, Wendy cringed, as she didn't have the strength to lift it up herself, and the looks the people gave her made her cheeks turn dark red.

The red headed boy who she also saw yesterday came to help her and lifted up her trunk, while the boy with the round glasses took the cage.

"My dad told me about you, you're a new student at Hogwarts. Might as well help you with your stuff eh?" The red head grinned. Wendy wanted to reach for her stuff back as soon as they took it, but she relaxed upon realising they were trying to help. Her stomach felt a little bit uneasy as to how this boy's father knew of her, but there was no mention of her father.

Wendy managed to fake a smile, she didn't know these people, and she wasn't too keen on making friends so soon after the tragedy. She saw the older red head who she assumed was the boy's father, reading a news paper that had a yellow tint to it, as if it were printed on old paper. The images on the front were moving, something that made Wendy blink twice to see if it was really happening.