eight

———

———

"dear mom and dad,

i want to start this letter off by saying thank you. you two are amazing parents. i could not even think of better parents than you two.

thank you for always making sure i had what i needed, even if it meant that you had to go without. you never made it obvious to me that we didn't have much. you would still buy toys or new clothes for me, even if it set us further back financially. you always made sure that i was happy and healthy, even if it meant that you couldn't afford to go to the doctor when you were sick. thank you for making so many sacrifices for me. i wish that i could repay you for everything you have done for me.

dad,
thank you for working so hard every single day, even on weekends, to make sure that we had enough money to eat.

thank you for all the years you came home from work, exhausted, and still played with me for hours. you could have just told me no because you were tired, but instead you put on a smile and asked me what game we were going to be playing.

thank you for being such a great role model to me. you are such a hard worker and your determination is admirable. i look up to you and wish i could be even as half as great as you.

thank you for everything.

mom,
thank you for always being so understanding and caring. you have never failed to always make sure that i am doing okay.

thank you for never raising your voice at me, no matter how wrong i was or how bad i was acting. you always listened to my explanations and disciplined me with a gentle voice. you were never mean, but you were stern enough for me to understand that what i had done was wrong. you didn't feel the need to upset me even further or scar me by screaming at me.

thank you for dedicating your life to taking care of me. after my brother left, i could tell you were not the same. you seemed sadder than before, yet you never let me see you so unhappy. you knew you had to be happy for me. after losing him, you knew i was all you had left and you decided to keep going strong for me.

thank you for everything.

thank you both for being so strong, even in times where you just wanted to break down. you never gave up or showed weakness. i deeply admire both of you for that. i wish i was as strong as both of you.

thank you. thank you. thank you.
i cannot say that enough.

thank you, mom.
thank you, dad.

now i'd like to take some time to apologize. i'm so sorry for all of the times i was a brat or wasted your hard earned money on things i wanted instead of things we needed.

i'm sorry that i haven't been the best son, especially recently. i've become more isolated. i've allowed my grades to slip. i've not been spending as much time with the two of you as usual. i haven't been home as much.

i'm sorry that i have been keeping secrets and hiding things from you. i know that you have no knowledge of this, but i still feel the need to apologize. you will find out what i am talking about very soon, i promise.

i would like to apologize for what i am going to do. please forgive me. i know what i am doing and please know that i will not regret anything.

mom and dad,
there is money in this envelope for the two of you. i have been saving it up for several months now. use it for whatever you want, but dad please buy yourself a new watch and mom please get the gemstone in your necklace replaced. it may not be a whole lot of money, but it's all that i have.

i want you to both put these numbers in your phones. they will be useful down the road.

jung hoseok - xxx-xxxx-xxxx
park jimin - xxx-xxxx-xxxx
kim taehyung - xxx-xxxx-xxxx
min yoongi - xxx-xxxx-xxxx
kim seokjin - xxx-xxxx-xxxx
kim namjoon - xxx-xxxx-xxxx

you do not know the context of my next requests yet, but please follow through with them.

i want my black and gray sweater, my pewter ring, and my butterfly necklace.

give my cell phone to jung hoseok. tell him to have the important photos printed. he can keep the phone after or if you want, you guys can sell it.

invite the six boys listed. they are the most important to me besides the two of you.

please try to contact my brother. invite him.
please try to patch things up. if you cannot, that's okay. just please, please try.

my last request: a piano instrumental of amazing grace. ask min yoongi if he will play it.

i love you both so much.
i'm so sorry.

sincerely,
your son jungkook ♡"

———

jungkook placed the envelope on his parents' dresser with a shaky hand. he then crept back into his room and shut the door.

his father was at work and his mother wouldn't be in their room until later that night.

he would have enough time.

he calmed himself down, making sure he was in a clear state of mind. once he was content and had the courage to do it, he didn't hesitate.

no more hurt.

no more tears.

no more worries.

just... peace,

happiness,

and freedom.